The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Skippy Learns to Jump the Phantom & Another Honey Boo Boo Tale (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/skippy-learns-jump-phantom-another-honey-178345/)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-19-2013 10:59 PM

Skippy Learns to Jump the Phantom & Another Honey Boo Boo Tale
 
Turns out Honey Boo Boo hasn't ever been bred live cover. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I was. She will tease and flirt and .....everything but. So, today we took her to the vet to see where she was in her cycle and found she's about ready to ovulate. OOOPS! Ran back home to get Skippy because if she's ready to ovulate and she still won't stand.....she probably ain't gonna.....PERIOD.

So, grabbed Skippy and hauled tail for the vet. The only wrinkle is.....he's never jumped a phantom, never been collected. I thought we'd wait a little bit and see what he puts on the ground before training him to the phantom. I mean, if I didn't like his foals, then I wouldn't advertise him to the public and I wouldn't need to collect and ship, right?

WELL!! La Princessa Boo Boo wants nothing to do with the actual DEED. It's ok to be pregnant and it's ok to be a mom but to BREED???? EWWWWW, GROSSSSS!

So, we got Skippy all prettified and cleaned up and ready to go and took him over to the phantom.

"Yeah.....right......what is that?" Back to the teaser, back to the phantom, back to the teaser....Ok, that's not working so well. Bring the teaser out and stand her next to the phantom....."OK! I GET IT! I lean way over the phantom and sniff, sniff, sniff, nip, nip and then I ......try to jump over the phantom to get to the mare! Oh, no, that didn't work so well. OK, well, I back up to get a running start at the phantom and I rear up really big and I land 3 feet in front of the phantom. HMMMM maybe not." Walk him away from the phantom and the mare and approach again. "OK, I really get it now! I jump the phantom from the side and make it impossible to get the AV on. OK, that wasn't it. Oh oh wait, I jump the phantom from the side, get the AV on but get so close there's a kink in the hose so to speak, so I........well I can't."

By now we're all rolling on the floor laughing, so we take him out to the round pen and let him run circles for a few minutes and blow off some steam and nerves.

Next try, we walk the tease mare in, stand her beside the phantom, he walks up to the rear of the phantom, mounts and.............YAY!!!! Skippy does the job like a big boy! WHEW!

Honey Boo Boo was quite happy to be bred via AI and now the deed is done and the count down is on......preg check on May 3! :lol:

SunnyDraco 04-19-2013 11:21 PM

That is quite the story, at least he got it after he had some time to cool off. Hope she took :D

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-19-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyDraco (Post 2287897)
That is quite the story, at least he got it after he had some time to cool off. Hope she took :D

LOL! ME TOO! :lol:

MyLittlePonies 04-20-2013 12:26 AM

I got agree. That's quite the s+ory! Hope she took!
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 04-20-2013 12:35 AM

I already wondered how a first time dummy breeding is taught. With humor I see?

deserthorsewoman 04-20-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 2287737)
Turns out Honey Boo Boo hasn't ever been bred live cover. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I was. She will tease and flirt and .....everything but. So, today we took her to the vet to see where she was in her cycle and found she's about ready to ovulate. OOOPS! Ran back home to get Skippy because if she's ready to ovulate and she still won't stand.....she probably ain't gonna.....PERIOD.

So, grabbed Skippy and hauled tail for the vet. The only wrinkle is.....he's never jumped a phantom, never been collected. I thought we'd wait a little bit and see what he puts on the ground before training him to the phantom. I mean, if I didn't like his foals, then I wouldn't advertise him to the public and I wouldn't need to collect and ship, right?

WELL!! La Princessa Boo Boo wants nothing to do with the actual DEED. It's ok to be pregnant and it's ok to be a mom but to BREED???? EWWWWW, GROSSSSS!

So, we got Skippy all prettified and cleaned up and ready to go and took him over to the phantom.

"Yeah.....right......what is that?" Back to the teaser, back to the phantom, back to the teaser....Ok, that's not working so well. Bring the teaser out and stand her next to the phantom....."OK! I GET IT! I lean way over the phantom and sniff, sniff, sniff, nip, nip and then I ......try to jump over the phantom to get to the mare! Oh, no, that didn't work so well. OK, well, I back up to get a running start at the phantom and I rear up really big and I land 3 feet in front of the phantom. HMMMM maybe not." Walk him away from the phantom and the mare and approach again. "OK, I really get it now! I jump the phantom from the side and make it impossible to get the AV on. OK, that wasn't it. Oh oh wait, I jump the phantom from the side, get the AV on but get so close there's a kink in the hose so to speak, so I........well I can't."

By now we're all rolling on the floor laughing, so we take him out to the round pen and let him run circles for a few minutes and blow off some steam and nerves.

Next try, we walk the tease mare in, stand her beside the phantom, he walks up to the rear of the phantom, mounts and.............YAY!!!! Skippy does the job like a big boy! WHEW!

Honey Boo Boo was quite happy to be bred via AI and now the deed is done and the count down is on......preg check on May 3! :lol:

and I thought I had weird horses....:rofl:
Fingers crossed that she took;-)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-20-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2288649)
I already wondered how a first time dummy breeding is taught. With humor I see?

I think humour and patience. Skippy is an exceptionally easy to handle stallion and he's a thinker. He tries very very hard to give you what he thinks you're asking for, so if you can be patient enough to let him try until he gets it right, then he gets it and never forgets what he's learned.

One of the reasons I love going to OSU with my horses is because they've thought everything out down to the last detail. They have a building with stocks for the mares in one room, stalls along the back wall for those waiting their turn. Then through a door in the back of one of the stalls, you step into the room with the phantom. It also has stalls for any of the boys that are waiting their turn. The floor is ground up rubber and deep, so VERY soft. One of the stalls in the mare's room as a window in the back of it, with a heavy padded wall below the window. They start out with a teaser in the stall, then walk the stallion up to the window and let them "talk". They also clean him up there, and when he's ready, they walk to the phantom and see if he'll just mount. Skippy is like many young stallions, he wants his girlfriend right by the phantom where he can keep a nose on her, and so they just brought them both in the room.

The reason we can look at all the fumbling and jumping around with humor is because the way the room is set up, most likely the stallion can't get hurt while he fumbles and figures it all out. The guy who handles the stallions is a moose and very, very quiet. I've known him for 10 years and I don't think he's said 100 words in that time. He's also very patient and gentle and kind to the horses. There are a bunch of vet students around to help with all the handling, cleaning, teasing and so on, so there's lots of help which also brings the safety for humans and horses waaay up.

Since they've taught so many young stallions, the whole thing took less than an hour from start to AI.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-20-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 2288689)
and I thought I had weird horses....:rofl:
Fingers crossed that she took;-)

LOL! OH trust me.......those Boo and Skippy now have enough quirks and humor in them to be Honorary Arabs. You would ROLL if you got to watch Amerikan Beauty in action, that little mare makes me grin just thinking of her silliness. :lol:

deserthorsewoman 04-20-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 2290833)
LOL! OH trust me.......those Boo and Skippy now have enough quirks and humor in them to be Honorary Arabs. You would ROLL if you got to watch Amerikan Beauty in action, that little mare makes me grin just thinking of her silliness. :lol:

it's rubbing off. I've seen it. Even my oh so down to business Snipper gets arab-y sweetness, curiosity and people friendliness ;-)
Would love to have another gray....and another mare.....and another Arabian...and another entertaining one ...but.......there's hubby.....screaming " budget".... ya know....

trainerunlimited 04-21-2013 06:40 PM

Omg, cute story! Do you have any pics of Skippy? I'd love to see him :)
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0