The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Show time grooming tips (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/show-time-grooming-tips-178385/)

howrsegirl123 04-19-2013 11:52 PM

Show time grooming tips

Time for showing! I need your best grooming, make-up, finishing touches tips, products, home recipes...whatever you've got! If you know of something that works great for anything grooming related, post here!

Tnavas 04-21-2013 08:40 PM

For really white socks.

Wash first with dishwasing liquid, rinse, towel dry then wash with blue shampoo. Leave for 20 mins, rinse and towel dry

THEN

Make up a soft paste with warm water and baby powder - the sort that is for nappy rash - has zinc in it.

Using a tooth brush rub the paste well into the white socks then bandage over using whhite or blue bandages. Allow to dry - I take mine off just a few mins before going into the ring. Gently brush off any excess - you will have ultra white socks.

howrsegirl123 04-21-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnavas (Post 2303729)
For really white socks.

Wash first with dishwasing liquid, rinse, towel dry then wash with blue shampoo. Leave for 20 mins, rinse and towel dry

THEN

Make up a soft paste with warm water and baby powder - the sort that is for nappy rash - has zinc in it.

Using a tooth brush rub the paste well into the white socks then bandage over using whhite or blue bandages. Allow to dry - I take mine off just a few mins before going into the ring. Gently brush off any excess - you will have ultra white socks.

Awesome! I'll try that!

RunningJumpingHorses 04-21-2013 11:34 PM

Best thing for paint horses or white socks is Ivory soap. It's the worst dish washing soap because it isn't good on grease but is the best to get a shine on a horse and whiten the white spots. It leaves a really good shine since it doesn't strip away horses natural oils like regular soap of any kind.
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 04-29-2013 12:27 PM

This is what I do for show:
For white markings I clean them with Cowboy Magic then before show I brighten them up with baby powder.

For his mane and tail, I use Cowboy Magic and then brush it thoroughly. Sometimes I'll braid it, but usually I leave it down. I got tail bags this year, so hopefully it will be better with the tails.

For their body:
Well, obviously the first thing I would do is give them a nice bath. ;)
When my horses are drying off, I take them for a slow walk in the sun - trying not to raise too much dust.
When they are dry, for the rest of the time I only brush them with a soft brush because I don't want to show any dirt I missed. It's hard to get the dirt off without a bath.

With their hooves, I clean them really well with Cowboy Magic, then I just leave it. I always trip their hooves, their ears, and their whiskers. I pull their mane to get it mostly straight, not too many long strands showing.

That is basically it. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it sure does work. Then when ever I go to clean their stalls or check up on them, I brush them down with a soft brush, clean their hooves, and brush their mane.

I like being close to my horses when they are stalled, I like to make sure they have enough food, water, clean stalls, and a clean body. It's kind of like their vacation because they don't get as much love as that when I just go out daily to ride. LOL, but they love it all anyways.
Last year I won Best Barn Citizenship because I was always there for my horse and I helped others.