The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Team penning questions! (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/team-penning-questions-178473/)

gypsygirl525 04-20-2013 12:16 PM

Team penning questions!

I have a team penning 'club' near me, and i would like to try it out with my gypsy cob ( i know it sounds bad but you should see how fast her turns:))
but i am wondering how it works? i have heard its kinda like a competition, like you win 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, but then were does that 'team' penning come in?

Iseul 04-20-2013 12:37 PM

The team wins, not an individual. Money is usually split evenly from what I understand, couldn't comment on the ribbons or such though.

There's no harm in taking your cob to try it out and see how she does. I took Alahna, my OTTB mare, and she did fantastic. She doesn't have fast turns or much down quite yet, but I was able to be a productive member of the team with her, especially after she realized she was suppose to chase them, haha.

I know a lot of the groups and teams around here are very welcoming of newbies and will mix their team up to let you have a try and give you tips during your run.

It's awesome fun, even if you're horrible at it, haha. I'll definitely be taking Alahna more often when I can afford it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 04-20-2013 12:56 PM

Penning is a lot of fun! What I suggest is get in touch with the local club and see if you can attend a practice night when they are doing a quiet sorting - if your horse has never been in with cattle you can either just sit on her and let her watch and when you feel comfortable two of the more experienced penners with experienced horses will walk on either side of you and your horse quietly into the cattle. It's a good way to get started;)

gypsygirl525 04-20-2013 11:11 PM

the club by my place meets every Saturday just for fun! my mini's got out one day, and we had to go chase them down, and he knew more what to do then i did! i will give it a try, i am not to sure how much cow work he has down, but i guess i will find out!
thanks!