The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   Tablets? (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/tablets-17848/)

Joshie 11-18-2008 01:24 AM

Tablets?

My son would like some sort of tablet upon which he can draw anime/manga and put it on his computer. We are a mac family. Anyone with experience with the less expensive tablet type devices?

He has also recently asked for a gaming laptop PC (oh, the horrors of it all in a Mac family). He has a MacBook that he hauls around everywhere in his backpack. I doubt a PC would stand up to that type of abuse. He's convinced that having a gaming PC would make his life so much better. He's got a perfectly good computer so he'd better not hold his breath or anything.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Jehanzeb 11-18-2008 06:40 AM

There are allot of different types of tablets, depending on your budget you can find decent tablets for drawing. The only thing I am thinking is, does he have any experience with tablets before?

Because it's not as simple as it looks. The home use tablets/ or should I say older versions of tablets did not have an integrated LCD display into the tablet which means you'll spend a lot of time glancing between the tablet and your computer display to get the image right.

These tablets you can get for lets say $100 to $250.

Though saying that, new and advanced tablets have built in LCD on to the tablet, so when you designing something it incorporates the image on the tablet so you don't have to switch constantly at tablet and screen. However they are quite expensive. for example their range could be from $1000 to $2000.
here is the link of a company I think is quite good [http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/21UX.cfm]

So depending on what he is looking for and how much experience he has, how much budget you have for his tablet, I'd say you should then invest accordingly.

As far as gaming PC is concern, to be honest that depends on what type of games he plays. If he plays strategy games then I don't think he needs any mega powerful PC however if he plays like FPS(First person shooters) like Call of Duty 4, BioShock, FarCry2, Crysis etc then he needs a much bigger and better PC (that means to invest like $1000,$2000).

The reason is that you need to have a very good graphics card to run these types of games, additionally a big memory (say about 2GB), a bigger hard drive (Flight Simulator takes 15GB of space to install), a better sound card (Creative Audgiy 7.1).

Again it depends how much you want to spend on a gaming PC and what kind of games he plays.

Additionally Mac system games are very few and not many companies make them, though they do sell but not as much as PC. Maybe that is the reason he wants a PC?

So find it out and let us know and I will try to help you further :-)

Regards

RegalCharm 11-18-2008 07:34 AM

Writing Tablet - Pointing Devices: Find, Compare, Read Reviews & Buy Online @ Yahoo! Shopping

You can look here for some writting tablets prices are
reasonable but I haven't exploried the tech. specifics