The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Gelding!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/gelding-17868/)

BarneyBabby 11-18-2008 01:59 PM

Gelding!!

Okay so I have own, trained, and ridden Saddlebreds all my life and Im hoping this Christmas I'm going to get a Clydesdale. Hes a stallion though. I have had plenty of stallions in the past but never have I gelded one before (odd huh?) and I was wondering how much does it ussaly cost. I wouldn't care if he was a stallion for the rest of his life but Im going to have him out in the field and I dont think one of the borders would be to happy to find out that there darling pony or something is going to give birth to a draft.:wink:

FGRanch 11-18-2008 06:37 PM

Here it's right around the two hundred dollar mark. If you are not using a horse for breeding you should not keep it a stallion, sorry don't mean to try and educate you but when a horse stays intact and is not used for breeding they can very easily get testicular cancer.

BarneyBabby 11-18-2008 07:39 PM

No, I understand all that. That is half the reason Im gelding him. I really would love to breed him, in my opinon he is beautiful. But he is not registered. Im kinda saving him from these people. He has bad feet and hes kinda thin.

Britt 11-18-2008 08:11 PM

It cost 90 dollars to geld my boy.

BarneyBabby 11-18-2008 09:04 PM

How old was he?? and how long does it take to heal??

Britt 11-18-2008 09:09 PM

He was four and a half months old (lol... we gelded him very earily because he was getting a little too much to handle... we were origionally going to wait until he was two)... It didn't take long to heal, but he did swell up pretty badly when I was sick and couldn't exercise (walk) him for a few days.

I'd guess that the healing is about the same no matter when or what age you geld... ''watch him about two weeks'' was what my vet told me... My boy never acted like he was hurting or anything either, even whn he swelled up.

BarneyBabby 11-19-2008 09:03 AM

Okay. Im still kinda worried. Im going to put some weight on him before I do geld him. Hes to then for my likeing

kickshaw 11-19-2008 09:19 AM

and be sure to do it (as it appears you are) during the cooler months so that flies and bugs can't fester the incision :-)

and what are you doing not getting another saddlebred?!?!?!?! (kidding - well, kind of ;-) )

BarneyBabby 11-19-2008 09:41 AM

Haha! Well Kickshaw, I thought I would mix it up a bit. There has only been one Saddlebred who is my big baby.(Barney 4 yrs) And every sence 4 I have been going to scottland every year I have wanted a clydesdale so Im getting this one. But trust me, in my book Saddlebreds are the most fun and to beautiful for there on good!!

And thanks for the advice!!

I take it you have a saddlebred. any pictures??

kickshaw 11-19-2008 11:05 AM

well, ok, so long as saddlebreds are still your favorite! :-P

I have tons of pictures of my guy - http://www.horseforum.com/members/37...justin-boo-11/ (he's the chestnut :-) )