The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   AQHA Gray 2009 Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/aqha-gray-2009-mare-178849/)

Mecate 04-21-2013 12:01 AM

AQHA Gray 2009 Mare

4 Attachment(s)
This mare actually belongs to my sister. She's coming four and being started under saddle. She's grown out of her awkward stage and into a nice mare. What do you think?

All Breed Pedigree Query

Attachment 163457
Attachment 163465
Attachment 163473
Attachment 163481

PreciousPony 04-21-2013 11:07 AM

She has pretty high withers for a quarter horse with a shoulder that's a little upright. Her pasterns are nice and compact, but a little too upright as well; may make for a short, choppy stride. Her front legs look just a little too short. Her back is slightly long and her hindquarters seem a bit too small for the rest of her body. Croup is sloped at a steep angle. For the general picture she's a pretty looking girl, just has a lot of minor conformation flaws.

eeo11horse 04-21-2013 06:27 PM

She looks like she might be a bit cow hocked also but it's hard to tell because of the weird angle.

lilruffian 04-23-2013 01:34 PM

Shoulder angle is a bit steep, though her neck set is surprisingly not too bad as a result, though her neck needs muscling.
Stands slightly under herself
She has a very deep chest, which is what i believe makes her front legs appear short
HIgh in the wither and her back is borderline long
Hindquarters are a nice shape, though again, they need developing
Hard to really say about her back legs, but nothing bad is popping out at me apart from her hocks, which are cowed-out.
Short pasterns, and i agree that they are too upright

Elana 04-23-2013 02:06 PM

I like her a lot. Really. A little light in bone below the knee.. but her neck is set right and I could pick on her.. but she is together.

Nice horse!