The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Ground manners - not respecting space (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/ground-manners-not-respecting-space-179025/)

grace01 04-21-2013 05:58 AM

Ground manners - not respecting space

I recently moved my horse to a new yard. He's 12 years old and normally has a lovely temperament and is nice to ride. However although he seems really happy in his new yard, the only problem is turning him out in the morning is getting harder. He walks around the stable when I try to change his rugs and fidgets when tied up. Walking to the field he's very keen although doesn't pull... He doesn't respect my space and will shove me when I'm trying to open the gate. He doesn't like to stand still when someone's holding him at all. Once in the field he's really chilled and has always been easy to catch! Any advice with his barging and standing quietly would be much appreciated!

TBforever 04-21-2013 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=grace01;2297793]I recently moved my horse to a new yard. He's 12 years old and normally has a lovely temperament and is nice to ride. However although he seems really happy in his new yard, the only problem is turning him out in the morning is getting harder. He walks around the stable when I try to change his rugs and fidgets when tied up. Walking to the field he's very keen although doesn't pull... He doesn't respect my space and will shove me when I'm trying to open the gate. He doesn't like to stand still when someone's holding him at all. Once in the field he's really chilled and has always been easy to catch! Any advice with his barging and standing quietly would be much appreciated![/QUOTE

maybe u need to re-establish whose boss again, he maybe doing the whole pecking order again since all new horses are around

LouieThePalomino 04-21-2013 08:19 AM

I had a horse try to shove me at the gate only once and he never did it again. When he shoved me through the opening I turned around and backed him up quickly, slapping his chest with the end of the reins and when he was far enough back I tied him up to the hitching rail and watered the other horses and watered him last. But I absolutely did NOT tolerate him shoving into me, it can become very dangerous because eventually it turns into running you over. About his restlessness, lunge him around in circles at a fast walk ( not a trot because walking faster is harder for them to do) intill he calms down and lowers his ears. As soon as he picks his head up and starts fidgeting, do it again and again. Eventually he will get sick of all the repetition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 04-21-2013 09:46 AM

Grace, invest in a rope halter as your horse will listen much better to it than a flat halter. They are cheap. When you get one, don't hold him under the chin but rather allow him a good arm's length of lead. A short hold actually invites his shoulder to push you. The longer lead will allow him to walk his own path. If his head comes toward you flap your elbow like a chicken. If he connects with a sharp elbow he'll think twice before moving into your space. It won't make him headshy.

grace01 04-21-2013 04:22 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions, will definitely try them.. I'm sure we'll get there :)

WesternRider88 04-21-2013 04:59 PM

I have a horse that is very impatient and wouldn't stand still when he was tied up, he would dig or keep moving around. So I would tie him up and leave him there until he stopped digging. And whenever he would dig I would just leave him there and put the other horses back in their corrals. And eventually he gave up and learned to be patient and he never dug the ground again. :)

tinyliny 04-21-2013 05:39 PM

grace,

When you work with him, moving him through gates or narrow places, insist that he stand back , and I mean well back, until you open the gate, stand to the side and "invite" him though (send him ahead of you). It's important to practice these kinds of things in places and times when there is not anxiety, such as the first turn out of the moring. And be 100% consistant about it. NEVER allow him to barge through a gate, even if it's not a real problem to you THAT time.

Expect perfect manners EVERY time, and then the problem time will get better.

grace01 05-09-2013 02:13 PM

just to say have been doing just this, with a massive improvement! so thanks, if you read this!