The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   mounting bareback? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/mounting-bareback-179073/)

ilovepets 04-21-2013 10:14 AM

mounting bareback?

i dont ride bare back too often but i have always wondered how people swing up onto a horse using the withers/mane as a handle (?). i personally just jump from the ground because i am pretty tall (5'6") and only ride a 14.2hh.

does anyone get on bareback with out a mounting block? videos and pictures would help!

equitate 04-21-2013 10:56 AM

My mom taught my horses to kneel for me when I was a kid. But you can also 'walk up' their front legs, or easier get them to put their necks down, lean over it, get them to put their necks back up.

And then there are people who can jump up/on....looking for a pix...but its not easy.

beau159 04-21-2013 11:07 AM

I can't swing on a bareback horse. If they have on a saddle, then I can swing on. My max height on that is about 15.2 hands or so.

When I mount bareback, I usually try to find a rock, or a ditch, or something to give me a little advantage. I could mount my 16.1 hand horse bareback if I could find something to help.

The key to mounting bareback is make sure you are jumping straight UP. You don't want to try to jump onto the horse. Jump straight up, and then get your elbow (of the hand holding onto the mane) over, and then get your back leg knee over the back of the horse. This gives you something to "grab on" and pull yourself up.

Whether you swing or jump, technique is the most important.

nvr2many 04-21-2013 11:12 AM

Wow, I am not sure I could do this anymore. When I was a kid I did it all the time and even vaulted from the back, over the butt and on. I just say practice I guess. Or maybe it was determination to ride, lol. Not sure.

Now a days I would not be able to pull myself up to save my life (sad), funny how things change.................... ok ok, I just thought about it, and I may still be able to do it with practice (refresher) if my horses were not 16.3 and 17.2 hh. Or I would like to think so, lol. :wink:

nvr2many 04-21-2013 11:13 AM

And did I hear video?? I second, video!

amberly 04-21-2013 11:26 AM

I am 5'7'' and I have a 13.2 horse , Golley, and a 15.1 horse, Brisco. I have never used a mounting block or any other source. I just either jump from the ground and get on the horse, lying on my belly, then I just grab his mane so I don't fall and I get my leg up and over. It's a pretty funny process for me. On Brisco, I have to get a running start sometimes. So it's a good thing we have taught our horses to be calm with everything that happens and such!! haha! I will get a video as soon as I can. It snowed last night and I have school tomorrow, so I'm not exactly sure when I will be able to get it. lol.

Dustbunny 04-21-2013 11:50 AM

Trampoline!

nvr2many 04-21-2013 11:59 AM

:rofl: ^^^^^^^^^^ Now we really need that video! Come on bunny, lets see it, lol.

Dustbunny 04-21-2013 12:08 PM

: ) A good way to mount and desensitize for flying objects all on one step!

nvr2many 04-21-2013 12:11 PM

:rofl: you are killing me here! I almost spit out my coffee!