The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Lunge lessons (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/lunge-lessons-179089/)

newhorsemom 04-21-2013 11:55 AM

Lunge lessons

Just curious - does anyone else here ever get lunge lessons? My daughter really loves them and will often ask her trainer if she can have a lunge lessons or at least begin her lesson on the lunge. Daughter just turned 12 so maybe it's a kid thing. She really gets into it though - eyes closed, arms stretched way out, concentrating on every transition.

Another question - do any of you trainers give lunge lessons to students (of any ability)?

churumbeque 04-21-2013 12:33 PM

Yes I have and they are very valuable. There is an art to correctly lunging
Posted via Mobile Device

~*~anebel~*~ 04-21-2013 01:04 PM

Churumbeque - she's talking about mounted lessons where the rider is lunged and can work on their seat.

Yes they are very valuable and good for students of all ages. Traditional schooling dictates that students should stay on the lunge until they have an independent seat, up to and sometimes exceeding a year! It is very good that you have an instructor who will give lunge lessons!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 04-21-2013 01:39 PM

I used to get them sometimes. I would always kind of dread them but it was I who asked for them because I knew I needed them. I've gotten so incredibly rusty that I certainly need them now!

newhorsemom 04-23-2013 02:03 AM

Seems like lunge lessons are not very common - especially for the (young) rider to request them! I think my daughter is the unusual kid! Anyway, she really loves them and they don't seem to be hurting her at all. It is strange that they aren't more common if they are good for developing an independent seat.

Tiny, why did you dread your lunge lessons? (I've never had one myself, just curious)

Klassic Superstar 04-23-2013 02:17 AM

So happy to hear you have such a great trainer to do lunge lessons!!
Builds confinace and really helps the rider concentrate on themselves when need be and to push themselves and the horse in a safe controlled place!
So happy for you and your daughter!

SMCLeenie 04-23-2013 03:52 PM

I've just started taking Dressage lessons (at 22) and all of my lessons have at least started on the lunge. At first I was a little embarrassed, I've been riding for 8 years, but I found that they really help me with my seat, and I'm much more confident off the line now.