The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   "'Length bend"? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/length-bend-179161/)

SnowCowgirl 04-21-2013 02:24 PM

"'Length bend"?

This article is about how to begin teaching flying lead changes. The author mentions asking for 'length bend' (I'd highlight it if I could, sorry). That's just asking for the horse to bend to the inside right? Like if I were asking her to take her left lead, I'd ask for some bend to the left?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tnavas 04-21-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl (Post 2300121)
This article is about how to begin teaching flying lead changes. The author mentions asking for 'length bend' (I'd highlight it if I could, sorry). That's just asking for the horse to bend to the inside right? Like if I were asking her to take her left lead, I'd ask for some bend to the left?
Posted via Mobile Device

Never heard that expression used - do you have a link to the article?

deserthorsewoman 04-22-2013 01:05 AM

Could that be a translation from German? "Laengsbiegung" could be (badly) translated to length bending. Meaning horse has to bend through the whole body, not only head and neck. Just a guess, tho
You have "stellen" and "biegen". Turning head and neck slightly to the inside or bending the horse through the whole length of it's body.

Tnavas 04-22-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 2306009)
Could that be a translation from German? "Laengsbiegung" could be (badly) translated to length bending. Meaning horse has to bend through the whole body, not only head and neck. Just a guess, tho
You have "stellen" and "biegen". Turning head and neck slightly to the inside or bending the horse through the whole length of it's body.

Sounds very plausable - yes the horse would need to be bent uniformly around the riders inside leg to help perform the change correctly