The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Girth Rubbing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/girth-rubbing-17917/)

CrazyChester 11-19-2008 03:25 AM

Girth Rubbing

I just bought a new horse and she has some sores where the girth goes. Im just woundering if I should put anything on it? When ever you go to check it she puts her ears back so it must hurt. She has it on both sides one side is worse then the other. I might get some pictures next time I see her because its hard to explain.

Also do I need to put anything on saddle sores? She has one on her back and it doesnt seem to be healing. Just so you no I bought her like this. It would be woundeful if you could help me!

Misty'sGirl 11-19-2008 05:05 AM

I'd suggest that you don't try to ride her until they've healed. Are they open sores? because some stuff can't be applied to open sores. Just try to make sure they are clean so they don't get infected, and maybe do a google search for tips. I hope she gets better soon

Britt 11-19-2008 07:57 AM

Just keep an eye on her... if you have some Blue Ointment Spray, you can put that on the sores to keep things off them.

luvs2ride1979 11-19-2008 08:10 AM

I like Corona Ointment for sores that have scabbed over and begun healing. It keeps the skin soft, which is more comfortable for the horse, and encourages hair growth. It comes in a yellow tube with black & red writing.
Corona Antiseptic Ointment from SmartPak Equine

For wounds that are not scabbing over well or are taking too long to heal, I like Eclipse wound wash and ointment. It really speeds healing! And a little goes a long way, so the tube of ointment lasts and is well worth the money.
Eclipse Equine Wound Care

I have had great luck with using silver cloth on a wound on myself that was not healing and kept getting infected. I dont' know if your horse's saddle and girth sores are that bad, but if they are (infected and weeping), then I might try some of these silver products.
EquiFit AgSilver Wound Spray from SmartPak Equine
EquiFit Silver CleanBalm from SmartPak Equine

kickshaw 11-19-2008 09:17 AM

3M also makes a rundown patch that you can apply over vetwrap to keep it from rubbing more, should you ride her (although, i wouldn't recommend it until she heals up ;-) )

CrazyChester 11-19-2008 04:46 PM

Its scabbed over and begun healing but the skin around it looks pretty red so I will go and look for some Corona Ointment, hopefully we can get it in Australia. I wont be riding her intill those sores heel up, when I first rode her for a test she was in pain you could tell with all the kicking and stuff so I will let her have a break! Thanks for the help guys!

smrobs 11-20-2008 05:51 PM

We use an ointment that was designed for sores on harness horses. I don't know what it is called but it is designed to protect the sore while still allowing you to use the animal. It works wonders. When I was breaking Koda, he got cinch sores on both sides. I started using the ointment but didn't stop riding him. Withing about 4 days, they were completely healed.

Barbarosa 11-21-2008 05:59 AM

Good advice from everyone, a good antiseptic ointment and some time off should help.
Where did your name "Crazy Chester" come from? I was wondering if it came from the song "The Weight"..

"Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.
He said, "I will fix your rags, if you'll take Jack, my dog."
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can."

The song is from the 60's, the group was simply called "The Band"

One of my favorite songs.

jazzyrider 11-21-2008 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyChester (Post 193362)
Its scabbed over and begun healing but the skin around it looks pretty red so I will go and look for some Corona Ointment, hopefully we can get it in Australia. I wont be riding her intill those sores heel up, when I first rode her for a test she was in pain you could tell with all the kicking and stuff so I will let her have a break! Thanks for the help guys!

ah you are australian...well i can help more now. there is a product called white healer. if its scabbed over as you say then this will really speed the healing process and help deal with any infections which it sounds like she has considering the red skin around the wound

i wouldnt ride her until all her sores have healed. even then you may have to watch for more girth sores. if she gets sores a lot you can get lambs wool covers for girths to stop rubbing or an anti-gall girth from wintec i think

CrazyChester 11-21-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarosa (Post 194532)
Good advice from everyone, a good antiseptic ointment and some time off should help.
Where did your name "Crazy Chester" come from? I was wondering if it came from the song "The Weight"..

"Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.
He said, "I will fix your rags, if you'll take Jack, my dog."
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can."

The song is from the 60's, the group was simply called "The Band"

One of my favorite songs.

My first horses name was Chester and he was a bit on the Crazy side. So thats where I got it from..ended up having to give him back as he was a bit too much of a handful