The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Combo bit? Not sure what this is. (

Endiku 04-21-2013 06:21 PM

Combo bit? Not sure what this is.
Bits (2)

I just ran across these two bits and was wondering if anyone knew what the second was. Obviously its a half cheek snaffle, but what about the round part attached to it? A second bit? I'm really not sure!

HorsesAreMyPassion 04-21-2013 09:35 PM

It looks like a Dexter Ring Bit, they're quite often used in horse racing. The half spoon cheeks are to help prevent the bit from being pulled through the horse's mouth and may also play a small part in helping out with steering.

Endiku 04-22-2013 01:34 PM

Oh, ok! Its very interesting looking...does that ring actually go into the mouth? I can't seem to picture how, since its wouldn't lay flat, unless the entire ring lays flat in the mouth?

HorsesAreMyPassion 04-22-2013 02:25 PM

Yes, the ring does go into the horse's mouth, but only the top part of the ring, the bottom part encircles the horse's lower jaw, it wraps around the outside of the lower jaw. The ring is there to help prevent the horse from setting his jaw against the bit and taking a strong hold of it. Hopefully I've described it well enough that you can picture it, but if you look at some pictures of racehorses, you're sure to spot one of these bits on some of the horses in them, it's a pretty common racing bit for very strong pulling horses.

Palomine 04-22-2013 02:27 PM

NBEventer 04-22-2013 02:45 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome