The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Anyone heard of Professor Beery? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/anyone-heard-professor-beery-179369/)

LouieThePalomino 04-21-2013 07:21 PM

Anyone heard of Professor Beery?

Well today I discovered proffessor Bert's training books! I think they are awesome! I love how many illustrations and how detailed the books are (I read book one in the horse training course book) and I ordered a set of 17 books for 20$ and it includes, the horse training, saddle horse instructions set, animal breeding set and training and riding western horses. I can't wait for it to get here! Anyways have any of you used his methods? I'm interested in how they work out.
Thanks,
-Lu
Posted via Mobile Device

Palomine 04-21-2013 08:04 PM

I've had them for 40 years now...maybe longer, but had original set at one time, have no idea what happened to them through the years.

The copyrights to them were bought quite a few years ago by someone hence why you can buy them so cheaply.

Set I had was around 100 dollars, and those were ones for Saddle Horses alone.

LouieThePalomino 04-21-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieThePalomino (Post 2302721)
Well today I discovered proffessor Bert's training books! I think they are awesome! I love how many illustrations and how detailed the books are (I read book one in the horse training course book) and I ordered a set of 17 books for 20$ and it includes, the horse training, saddle horse instructions set, animal breeding set and training and riding western horses. I can't wait for it to get here! Anyways have any of you used his methods? I'm interested in how they work out.
Thanks,
-Lu
Posted via Mobile Device

* I ment Beery's not Bert's
Posted via Mobile Device

LouieThePalomino 04-21-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palomine (Post 2303185)
I've had them for 40 years now...maybe longer, but had original set at one time, have no idea what happened to them through the years.

The copyrights to them were bought quite a few years ago by someone hence why you can buy them so cheaply.

Set I had was around 100 dollars, and those were ones for Saddle Horses alone.

I love old books, I've always collected them, and when I found out about these I was so happy lol. When were they originally published?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 04-21-2013 09:40 PM

John Rarey and Professor Jesse Beery were two of the earliest horse trainers that went on tour and did PP style demonstrations. Rarey was around in the early 1800s and Professor Beery was around in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I still have one of his type of bits that I bought in the early 1960s. It came with a rope headstall and could be used as a gag-bit or a type of war bridle. The Amish harness makers still sell this bit today.

Professor Beery's School of Horsemanship was still around when I was a kid even though he died in the 1940s. It was advertised in the back of the first Western Horseman Magazines I read in the 1950s. I read most of his books. I borrowed them when I was 12 or 13 years old. I read about John Rarey, but if he had any books out, I never read them. The stories of these two long-dead' trainers were a lot of my inspiration to teach horses instead of break them like all of the cowboys I knew back in the late 50s.

These were the first two trainers that used 'pressure and release' as a non-confrontational way to 'teach' horses. I read the old books and read everything about them both that I could find. I did not know they had been reprinted. I would like to read them again and wonder if I would be as impressed as I was as a kid.

Cherie

Poseidon 04-21-2013 09:52 PM

My mom just gave me a 2 or 3 of the full set (of 8, I think?) that she found in my grandpa's room after he passed away. No idea how old they are, but they were interesting.

Palomine 04-22-2013 11:48 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Prof-Beerys-Mail-Course-Horsemanship/dp/1453775560

christopher 04-22-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 2304449)
I would like to read them again and wonder if I would be as impressed as I was as a kid.

The Modern Art of Taming Wild Horses - Wikisource, the free online library