The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Mustang files (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/mustang-files-179417/)

Fargosgirl 04-21-2013 08:45 PM

Mustang files

I have recently volunteered to help gentle mustangs for a local mustang alliance and have created a sort of video blog. This is the first horse I have worked with:

Orion: 3 yo. Appx.13 hh. Gelding from the El Rito herd. He has been in captivity since Nov.2012

Spookiness: Orion is surprisingly calm about many things, he has the potential to be "bombproof" someday given time, experience and tons of gentle training. He is currently residing in a pen 150ft. from a busy road, daily he is exposed to cars, trash trucks, motorcycles ect. he rarely even flicks and ear at anything. The only thing he seems to really be afraid of is human contact, but he is slowly conquering that fear.
Intelligence: Rarely have I ever come across a horse this smart and quick to figure out what you want from him(he knows what you want, but that doesn't mean he's ready to do it). There have even been a couple times I found that he has been training ME, it has been a long time since I've had one make me prove I've got brains as much as this guy has!
Heritage:
His herd tests positive for Spanish Barb DNA, making Orion a TRUE MUSTANG. The El Rito herd also boasts a fair amount of Shetland Pony, and Clydesdale(:shock:?) DNA creating a horse with superior intellect!

If you have any questions about Orion, the NM mustangs, or my training methods, please feel free to ask!

roseann 04-21-2013 11:56 PM

Where in are you located. I just went to a mustang adoption clinic in Farmington, NM that had a mustang with the same name. The herd info seems familiar as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fargosgirl 04-22-2013 12:10 AM

Yep, I'm in Bloomfield too, you have probably met Orion in person. The Jicarilla Mustang Heritage Alliance is really trying to get the word about these great horses out there, because it looks like we will be getting quite a few more in the near future.

soenjer55 04-22-2013 12:24 AM

Wow, this is probably one of the coolest volunteer jobs ever! I'm ridiculously excited to follow this thread, haha.

Oldhorselady 04-22-2013 12:38 AM

Very cool. Congrats!

mollymay 04-22-2013 12:38 AM

Would love something like this so much!
Posted via Mobile Device

roseann 04-22-2013 12:56 AM

I live in Bloomfield too! Great work! I hope the alliance can get some of those guys homed. There was one I really liked but now I dont remember its name. I personally am not experienced enough to handle a horse like this. I sold my green-broke mare because I just was not comfortable with her. I did consider some of the horses at Four Corners Equine Rescue but eventually bought my current mare elsewhere. I have been meaning to stop by and look at the horses again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fargosgirl 04-28-2013 08:15 PM

This is the latest, and most likely the last video of Orion. He has been adopted!!:D His new owner is coming next week to collect him.

The last couple minutes of this video are really special to me because I finally captured on film Orion's goofy, curious side! The haltering section is a little unorthodox, but mustangs will teach you to think outside the box! Last week my horses took Orion's halter off during play, and I had to get creative to get it back on, now it's what he's used to.

My next project will be Orion's herd mate Rito, the two were very closely pair bonded, but not at all alike in personality. I will be posting videos of Rito's progress once he comes, which should be sometime in the next couple weeks.

Oldhorselady 04-28-2013 08:36 PM

That is so wonderful. I would love to adopt a mustang myself. So glad Orion found a home.

roseann 04-28-2013 11:44 PM

Yea! He was my favorite.
Posted via Mobile Device