The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Youngsters future (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/youngsters-future-17945/)

free_sprtd 11-19-2008 12:49 PM

Youngsters future

How did you choose what to "specialize" your young horse in? What I mean is how did you know when they were young that they would be good at jumping, barrels, reining, ect? I know it has some to do with conformation and how they're built, but are there things to look for in their personality? As of right now, I'm guessing Thunder is going to be a trail horse, but maybe he has more potential? lol I'm still a little naive to the sports related to horses. I have only gone on mild trails. Thanks!

peace love and paints 11-19-2008 01:44 PM

with all the foals i've raised i look at how they move and their personality. like a very laid back horse would be good for the trail. one of my foals now is really quick with her feet so after she's riding good i'll start her with learning the barrels.

My2Geldings 11-19-2008 01:56 PM

I think you simply make plans as to what it is you want to do. Start them slow and start them in the discipline you want and see what they tell you. I've seen some horses that have gone from nearly GP stadium and ended up being sold as high level dressage, performance horses simply because they hated to jump. Have seen it happen the other way as well.

Start them off and try them out then see if it's something they like.

free_sprtd 11-19-2008 02:44 PM

ya thats a good idea.... i just hear people saying on here all the time oh when They grow up they're going to be good at "blank". I guess I'll have to look more into his personality.

He's VERY curious, not usually afraid to check things out/explore, stubborn, can be lazy, poor confirmation, stocky build, loves obstacles......that's all I can think of right now....

sounds like he'd be just what i thought....a great trail horse :)

G and K's Mom 11-19-2008 04:18 PM

And then.............. when you think that you've found the perfect "job" they amaze you by excellerating at something completely different later in life!

My older guy was put into the trail horse slot, only to become a great HJ at 8 years old.

shermanismybaby3006 11-19-2008 04:56 PM

G and K's Mom I know what you mean. I was leasing a registered paint cross with thoroghbred mare and so she really excelerated in hunt seat, but I started riding her western for a while because I got kind of bored riding english all the time and she turned out to be a really good western horse. We actually placed pretty well in some shows. I was amazed because she definately doesnt take after the paint side she is all thoroghbred. Its amazing what horses can do.
Her owner also didnt think she was a good trail horse but she did really well with me. I even took her to a trail clinic and she did awsome she went through water and even trenches. :-P

So yeah free_sprtd you never know until they grow up a little. I am waiting for my horse to grow up so I can see what he is going to excel at.

Britt 11-19-2008 05:32 PM

I have never been interested in showing or anything, so when my colt was born, since his dam was a trail horse and really loves it, and that's all I do... my boy really had no choice in the matter... He was born and is going to be trained to be a trail horse... and he's very solid under saddle and feels very sturdy and strong to ride right now... I know that I've made the right choice for him.

Spirithorse 11-19-2008 05:45 PM

It has a lot to do with their personality. Horses that tend to be "lazy" or arena sour will usually be awesome trail horses. Horses that are more extroverted in their behavior might be good at jumping, eventing, faster paced things. Horses that tend to be very insecure and unconfident can be good at dressage....it's consistant work, and consistancy builds confidence.

I know for a hunter or jumper you want to observe how the horse goes over the jump....is he round, balanced, tight through his legs, etc.

Here's an interesting thing about a cow horse prospect....the ones who are more skeptical about the cows in the beginning ususally end up being the best cow working horses if you build their confidence right.

It's a fun thing to figure out what your horse would be good at.

free_sprtd 11-19-2008 10:35 PM

hey thanks guys!!! that's all very helpful and answered my question perfectly :)i'll just keep my eyes open on him. thanks again!

Midwest Paint 11-20-2008 02:11 AM

Exposure..

I know it can be very hard to determine at a young age what they may be good at personality wise. Which discipline and what they may have heart into.

Yes, the confirmation plays a huge role as to what they can physically be capable of, but I also pay attention to what they may accell at in their personal interest. I know that sounds a bit wierd, as horses in general will do whats asked, but lets go beyond whats asked. Horses that have a strong interest in a specific discipline do so much better then those that are doing it just because they are asked. Their consistancy is stronger, and they actually enjoy it.

My suggestion, expose your baby to a series of events in watching. You will pick up on cues and signs that something going on has an interest. Some of mine watch the barrel races when I take them to shows and events. Some have an interest in jumping. They look at whats going on with a lot more intent, and pay attention a lot longer then they would to anything else going on, especially if it involves other horses. Horses are herd creatures and pay more attention to other horses behavior then we do. Pick up on whats normal for your baby to behave, then expose them to new things.. I am sure you will notice right away when baby can't take eyes off of a certain event, as they might find that fun to do in the future!