The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughts on this stallion?

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Poco1220 
#1 ·
I had the chance this weekend to see this boy in person and really loved his personality. Very friendly and easy going, seemed very willing under saddle, and his owners and handler really trusted him. He was completely at ease in crowds, around other horses, and in scary situations (at one point all the horses around him were freaking out and he was a perfectly minded gentleman). He is 7 years old, 16 hh, and located semi close by.

Papas A Little Sexy (son of Big Sexy)

Horse Equestrianism Animal sports Mammal Sports

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Horse supplies Halter

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mare Horse supplies

Pedigree:Papas a Little Sexy Quarter Horse

See less See more
Reactions: BrieannaKelly
#3 ·
Don't really like the back end, not much hock, short hindquarters, and a high tail set. Watched a video of him on Youtube, and he has a really quick, choppy HUS stride. Seems like a "jack of all trades, master of none" horse. Nobody really breeds all-around horses anymore. But personality/trainability goes a long way.

I would go with a more type-y HUS horse if you are looking to be competitive with AQHA hunters. You could probably buy a horse like him already on the ground if you wanted to.

#4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I am big on stallion disposition and although it seems every stallion owner claims theirs is amazing this is one of the few I've found that truly is. I am hoping to make a trip this summer to go see him and their farm for a day before making a final decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: dbarabians
#5 ·
He has some nice offspring & like looks of his sire.He is more old school, an all rounder:wink:,not like many horses today outstanding/specialized in any one event:) but competitive enough at regional levels & versatile.I actually don't mind him but,Guess it depends what you are breeding for:).

Reactions: dbarabians
#6 ·
I like him and if he suits your needs then I say go for it.
IMO we need more all around horses. Most will never see the inside of a show ring. There is nothing wrong with being a jack of all trades. Kudos to the breeder of this horse and current owners for trying to keep the versatility in the QH breed. Shalom

#7 ·
I think he's a handsome horse, until you get to those back legs... something looks kind of off about his fronts to me in some pictures, too, I'm not quite sure what though. He looks to have a longish back and is pretty downhill in that first picture you posted... I'm not really a fan of the long and low HUS types of horses though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Other than that, though, he sounds like he has a fantastic temperament. I agree that he seems like a non-specific type of horse, which I really like but I'm also not committed to any certain discipline... Plus, I have no idea what you're looking for, lol. A stallion to breed to? To buy? For show, to go far? Just to have a nice horse?

#9 · (Edited)
I got to see him in the QH breed demo, and he certainly is a very nice looking horse. And I wouldn't have guessed he was a stud at all, just so willing and quiet. I'm sure it comes down to naturally good demeanor and good training on top. The girl riding her was actually the "Fairest of the Fair" in my county's fair, and I've got to meet her quite a few times. Great rider, great horse. I might have some more pictures of him, I'll try to find them.

EDIT; Here are the two that I have of him.

Attachments

#10 ·
I had the chance this weekend to see this boy in person and really loved his personality. Very friendly and easy going, seemed very willing under saddle, and his owners and handler really trusted him. He was completely at ease in crowds, around other horses, and in scary situations (at one point all the horses around him were freaking out and he was a perfectly minded gentleman). He is 7 years old, 16 hh, and located semi close by.

Papas A Little Sexy (son of Big Sexy)

View attachment 164225

View attachment 164233

View attachment 164241

Pedigree:Papas a Little Sexy Quarter Horse
I think if your goal is to have a really nice All Around horse, with a great temper, then he's great. If you're looking to go to the World's in HUS or HP, his confo is not particularly suited for that. If, you're like most folks though, and want a great temper, willing dispo, athletic enough to be good at most things, and pretty enough to show in hand if you want, then he's a good choice.

#11 ·
I am looking to breed an all around horse. I understand there are a ton out there already and am not taking the decision to breed lightly. But if I do breed I am VERY interested in this boy. Thank you all for your help. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
I am looking to breed an all around horse. I understand there are a ton out there already and am not taking the decision to breed lightly. But if I do breed I am VERY interested in this boy. Thank you all for your help. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
In that case, I'd say he's a darn good candidate- although personally I'd keep a look out, just in case, for a stallion with better back legs... But with his personality/temperament and his conformation overall, he's definitely worth it.

#14 ·
Well, I went ahead and sent out the booking deposit yesterday. They were running a really nice special on his stud fee and I didn't want to miss out. If I change my mind and lose that money then so be it but for now I'm planning a 2014 breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.