The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Would you buy this horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/would-you-buy-horse-179481/)

evensteven 04-21-2013 09:19 PM

Would you buy this horse?

Hello everyone! I am on the hunt for a horse and I came across one that sounds nice. She would be my first if I were to buy her. But it wouldn't be until a while (my dad is searching for a job). Please tell me what you think of her!
Like is she too young? What does she look like she would be good for? I want to do competitive trail, so would I have to get her in shape?
Thank you!

Georgia

PS, I have not seen her yet. I just want opinions. c:

GamingGrrl 04-21-2013 09:28 PM

There aren't any good pictures to judge her confo off of, but she looks butt high. I would like for her to be a bit more refined threw her head and neck. It's hard to determine if she'd be a good match because you didn't give us any info on your own experience :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

evensteven 04-21-2013 09:32 PM

Oh. :lol: I should have. Woops. I have been riding for three years now. Started jumping.. Crossrails. Uhh. I can't think of anything. What would you like to know? I mean I know a lot. Or at least I think so.

WSArabians 04-25-2013 12:45 AM

Seem's cute, but her owner is selling her because she won't a long distance horse so I don't think that goes with your wanting to do competitive trail though..

evensteven 04-25-2013 12:50 AM

True, but I would do my best. I'd probably stick with shorter rides and then see if we could do longer ones.
And if it wouldn't work, we'd do some other things! (: Thanks for your comments!

It really depends though. I can't get a horse yet, so I probably won't get her. You know?
Posted via Mobile Device

DimSum 04-25-2013 06:41 AM

While I know you aren't ready to buy a horse yet, take this advice for what is it worth and in the well-meaning spirit to which it is intended. Whether it is buying horse or deciding what path to take in life, if you have to "squint your eyes" to make something look right for you then you need to take a better look with eyes wide open.

What that means is that if you have to overlook your main goal (squinting past it so to speak) by saying "it doesn't matter I'll just make it work" ...well it probably won't work out. In this case the owner flatly states the horse would rather go slow than do competitive long distance, which makes her unsuitable for your main purpose. When you try and make a horse do something he/she is just not cut out to do both you and the horse end up frustrated. Better to look around more for a horse that wants to do, and is able to do what you ask.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe4d 04-25-2013 08:08 AM

you didnt really mention what type of competitve trail. Thats a broad term, if you are talking long distance race type rides, no way, wrong breed wrong build. I wish someone had told me the facts of life before I bought my current horse. i wouldnt consider a QH, just not gonna do well long term and why set yourself and your horse up for marginal at best results ? If your OWNED that horse already and wanted to do it Id say sure get it in shape, go for it, have fun , concentrate on completions, but no way I would intentionally go out and BUY a horse like that. Look for something at least half arabian with big feet and strong cannon bones.
Now if you are talking competitive trail like ACTHA ? where the focus is cowboy challenges and obstacles ? well that horse may be ideal for stuff like that.

DancingArabian 04-25-2013 08:10 AM

The current owner said this horse is not suitable for distance riding and she does look butt high. I'd pass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 04-25-2013 08:57 AM

OP, I know you're just 'wish buying' at the moment, but now would be a good time to take the opportunity to learn as much as you can about the type of horse you'll need for the sport in which you want to compete.

'Good enough' rarely is, especially when the sport is physically and mentally demanding. The only horse I have who could do competitive trail/endurance riding isn't in shape for it. Neither am I, but that's another story entirely.

maura 04-25-2013 08:57 AM

I would not ever recommend a 4 year old or coming 5 year old for a first horse, not matter how sweet or well broke.

The just don't have the mileage or experience to make them suitable for a first horse.

I'd keep looking.