The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Hackamores (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/hackamores-17952/)

Dasher41 11-19-2008 03:53 PM

Hackamores

does anyone here ride in a hackamore?

i have just put my mare into one due to her having teeth problems and all i can say is wow.
she works 100% better than in a bit i might not put her back into one.

so yeah does anyone else ride in one?

PoptartShop 11-19-2008 04:22 PM

I don't ride in one personally, but they are good for horses with teeth problems (like bitless bridles are as well)- glad your mare is doing better with it! :D

Bitless 11-20-2008 02:56 AM

Yup. I use a english hackamore on one of my horses. Its super. : )

kickshaw 11-20-2008 09:07 AM

both of my guys ride in hackamores :D

Britt 11-20-2008 08:07 PM

I put my mare in a hackamore a little over two years ago and her whole attitude changed 110 percent!

I just recently put her back in a bit, as I switch her back to a bit every so often to make sure she isn't getting too used to a hack. She'll be back in a hack probably by... December. Lol.

For some strange reason, my two and a half year old gelding hates hackamores...

twogeldings 11-21-2008 12:05 AM

My old gelding wore a hackamore and I personally thought it was amazing. Even more so since I was still a greenie and was in constant fear of hurting his mouth.

I'm hoping to have my two younglings trained in a hackamore when they reach breaking age. I'm thinking of even starting my nine year old on one as well :D

luvs2ride1979 11-21-2008 01:36 PM

I use a bitless bridle on my horses for trail riding or when friends come over. We only use bits for more serious training or shows.

I like the bitless bridles, jumping hacks, or side-pulls better than mechanical hackamores because you have better communication (when direct or pully reining) and you have less of a chance of hurting the horse's nose/jaw. Thoe mechanical hacks with shanks can be pretty severe if you pull too hard!

ditzydoo 11-22-2008 02:06 AM

I use a hackamore for my showjumper and he listens to it wonderfully he always used to argue with his bit (which was a level 1 myler) i only use a light contact though out the hole round and a hard contact only when i need it he behave perfectly and listens to evrything i have to say which is huge difference as he was a very cocky ( and still is) horse and thought he knew everything ive only done one compition in it on him and he wa perfect and told me when my contact was to hard by shaking his head we even endd up placing 5th in his 1m5 and gng double clear for the first time at this height and he behaved so well in it it he has made a humongous change since the hackamore hasbeen one him