The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   What do you think of this Gypsy Cross? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/what-do-you-think-gypsy-cross-179626/)

4horses 04-22-2013 02:15 AM

What do you think of this Gypsy Cross?

What do you think about this horse? I am tentatively looking for a safe trail horse and one that I can train to drive. Obviously he is young, and a little on the skinny side (as is mom).

What do you think about the price?

Gypsy Vanner cross colt

Clava 04-22-2013 06:50 AM

I think the mare has very poor conformation, I wouldn't buy him, but in the UK coloured cob cross colts are ten a penny.

FeatheredFeet 04-22-2013 08:45 AM

If this is a current photo, then I consider this colt very immature looking, for being ten months old.

If he is indeed ten months old, then I wonder why on earth he is still with his dam, unless she has already been bred again and is in foal.

As for being able to be registered as a 'Gypsy Cobb', I wonder where they got that. He could be registered as a crossbred, but in the US, we have no 'Cobb' registries. We have The Gypsy Cob and Drum Horse Association, which will register some crossbreds.

I personally, would have not bred this mare and stallion. There again, I'm not in favour of breeding everything and anything to Gypsies. Many crossbreds are being offered for more money than purebred these days. I was trying to give away, a nice three year old Gypsy cross gelding for a lady, a few months back. Took for ever to find a home for him.

Lizzie

4horses 04-22-2013 12:39 PM

I'm not sure I like him that much either. I must admit those are some of the worst pictures though! I'm assuming those are older pictures and he is weaned by now! One would hope anyway!

I do want a Gypsy Cross. I know a friend with several of them and they are really nice level headed horses. I just haven't seen any for sale in this area that aren't in the $5000 + range for a Gypsy Cross.

I also wonder if the stallion even has papers.

jaydee 04-22-2013 12:47 PM

I think its hard to judge his conformation because the pics are odd angles and he's so poor.
Unless you're experienced to take on a youngster then I wouldn't bother - its going to be a couple of years before he's ready to do anything by way of riding and he might turn out to be not what you want.
Crossing the Gypsy cobs with TB's and Arabians - other similar breeds is pretty much going to result in the typical UK sort of lightweight cob that's always been in demand - but value is totally dependent on quality though people will still pay more something solid and reliable and on the 'plain' side than for a stunning 'hot head'

FeatheredFeet 04-22-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4horses (Post 2309169)
I'm not sure I like him that much either. I must admit those are some of the worst pictures though! I'm assuming those are older pictures and he is weaned by now! One would hope anyway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4horses (Post 2309169)

I do want a Gypsy Cross. I know a friend with several of them and they are really nice level headed horses. I just haven't seen any for sale in this area that aren't in the $5000 + range for a Gypsy Cross.

I also wonder if the stallion even has papers.

Shocking, if they are really fetching that much. Shows that people don't do their homework. Do you know the stallion's breeding? Why not ask your friend where she got hers? I'd look around through all the classifieds and get an older horse, if I were you. There are (unfortunately) tons about.

Lizzie

4horses 04-22-2013 05:16 PM

There really aren't any around here. If I wanted to drive 5 hours maybe I could find a few more babies for around $2000. I think my friend paid a considerable amount of money for hers.

I haven't been very impressed with the horses for sale around here. Lots of back yard breeders. Guess I will keep looking. Good thing I am not in any rush.

FeatheredFeet 04-22-2013 05:41 PM

I think you must understand, that very seldom, is the horse we desire, in our neighbourhood or even in the same state.

Years ago, we had a yearling filly for sale. A lady from Vermont was interested in her. The lady flew out to California, installed herself in a hotel and visited the filly each day. She spent lots of time with her and in the end, decided this was the horse for her. In the end, she spent less money on the filly, her flight out here and hotel stay, than most of the high priced Gypsies you see advertised from those with huge advertising budgets.

You have to be willing to travel a bit, if you desire something specific. Either that or make sure you ask a great many questions - the correct questions, and ask for many pictures and movies. We have bought many horses sight-unseen, from all over the world. I would say, 99% of the time, these purchases work out well.

So keep searching and don't overlook a horse, because it happens to be far away.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Lizzie

KigerQueen 07-03-2013 08:44 AM

FeatheredFeet do you guys (the breeding farm) work with desert jewel gypsies?

FeatheredFeet 07-03-2013 12:43 PM

My daughter, who actually owns Harlequin Farms, has sold to and purchased from, DJ Gypsies in the past.

Lizzie