The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Mounting Bareback (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/mounting-bareback-17967/)

Moxie 11-20-2008 12:40 AM

Mounting Bareback

How in the world does a pudgy, short legged person such as myself mount a horse bareback? I mean, even with a mounting block, I fear it'll be almost impossible.

Any tips? I have a lesson tomorrow, and seens how my saddle is at the shop, and it's going to be super cold, I thought I would try a bareback lesson. I'm worried I'll look a fool trying to mount the horse! lol

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Joshie 11-20-2008 12:45 AM

I'm fond of the mounting block and a friend method. :lol: You know, I look pretty goofy in a helmet but it keeps my noggin in one piece. Riding bareback is a great way to learn balance. Who cares how you look?

Winter Filly 11-20-2008 12:47 AM

Climb, climb, climb. I don't have any tips but sometimes I climb to get on and my horse is just like, "mom, what the heck are you doing?", lol. I'm tall, but my horse is huge so even with a mounting block it can be hard. Sort of like jump to get on their back and then swing your leg on over. It'd be nice if there was an easy way to get on bareback.

AKPaintLover 11-20-2008 12:52 AM

I am short, but I remember the days when I used to be able to spring up on my 15.3 hand horse without a problem. Well, now that is a dream of the past (even with my 15 hh horses) :-(. If you have a two or three step mounting block, and the horse is not gigantic, and stands well, you should be able to get on alright. Another factor limiting mobility in the winter is all the gear, making it even harder to get on.

When I get on bareback, I do it one of two ways depending on the horse and my mood. The standard, safe way to go is to flop your upper body onto your horses back and then rotate yourself into position while getting your leg over. You want to be careful not to elbow or knee your horse which is actually pretty easy to accidentally do. The other way I get on, is hard to explain and wrap your head around, but it involves the horse facing your way instead of sideways, and doing a 180 in body position while hopping on (I really have no idea how to explain this clearly).

Moxie 11-20-2008 01:00 AM

Even with the mounting block, I still rely on my stirrups to get up on the horse.

I figured I'd just do a reverse dismount. Lay on my tummy, and swing my huge bum and right leg over.

It'll be a sight to see! lol

AKPaintLover 11-20-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie (Post 193579)
Even with the mounting block, I still rely on my stirrups to get up on the horse.

I figured I'd just do a reverse dismount. Lay on my tummy, and swing my huge bum and right leg over.

It'll be a sight to see! lol

That is what I often do. :D

free_sprtd 11-20-2008 01:46 AM

Just have your instructor give you a knew up...it is crazy how easy it is to throw someone up on a horse like that, and you dont have to be very strong. use your arms to help spring up.

Moxie 11-20-2008 01:50 AM

I'm huge. There is no 'knee up' option. lol

free_sprtd 11-20-2008 01:53 AM

oh please! Just ask and see what they say. You can get on a horse with stirrups, then someone can give you a knew up.

free_sprtd 11-20-2008 02:03 AM

I think you will do fine maybe if you have a 2-3 step stepping stool that brings you closer to the back you can get on easier? Sorry im not of much help.....I can't get on without a leg up or a fence.