The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   What do you expect from a Barn Manager? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/what-do-you-expect-barn-manager-17968/)

whitetrashwarmblood 11-20-2008 12:08 AM

What do you expect from a Barn Manager?

Just wondering.
I may become one if I ever move up in the world.:roll:
Don't mangers get like free board for one horse or something?
Or what do managers do for you?
I work at a pretty layed back boarding barn where we're all just one big happy family, as crazy as that sounds. lol
So our manager doesn't to much except for paper work, drives the tractor(since it's older than dirt, and no one else knows how to drive it... yet), and a few other manager-y things.

free_sprtd 11-20-2008 12:52 AM

Our barn manager is the owner, so he does stalls, feeds, keeps up on maintenance in the barn, turns the arena, present during farrier visits, checks in on guests when they visit, answers any questions, turnout on horses, aids if you have any problems with your horse (but not like training). Um that's about it I suppose.

yv0nne 11-20-2008 01:01 AM

Same as above for me .. my barn manager is the owner :) She's a great lady.

Angel_Leaguer 11-20-2008 10:34 AM

The barn manager is the owner also for me... but I expect them to be able to take care of my horse:

clean stalls/turnouts
feed
water
check for sickness/lameness
has good knowledge on horses
If they have horses they should be in good health as well
should be easy to talk to/address concerns

Since she got sick I have been doing a lot more around there...like cleaning the barn. Her husband doesnt clean, he will feed and water... I have to handle her horses now as well as mine. I dont fully mind it just sucks that it gets dark so fast. But this summer April managed to cut her leg up, the BO applied the bandages to it, hand walked her for me, and just generally kept an eye out. It made me feel good that she cared.

BeauReba 11-20-2008 12:27 PM

What you do depends on how many people you have working for you and how many horses you have. If you have a groom to turn out, feed, and muck you'll have more time to do other things! Some duties are:

-ordering feed and bedding
-ensuring the quality of feed and bedding is high
-scheduling removal of maure
-mending fences
-training horses
-scheduling vet and farrier appointments
-maintaining records of the horses
-balancing the bank account
-advertising
-ensuring insurance is up to date and your barn meets its requirements
-dealing with unhappy clients
-teaching lessons
-thinking of ways to save money
-keeping up with the industry
-studying new techniques and products
-finding ways to improve the horses' health and happiness
-repair bandages, blankets, equipment
-deal with unhappy or unproductive workers

That is a list of some of the stuff I did as assistant barn manager. There is always something to be cleaned, organized, repaired, or ordered.

minihorse927 11-23-2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeauReba (Post 193886)
What you do depends on how many people you have working for you and how many horses you have. If you have a groom to turn out, feed, and muck you'll have more time to do other things! Some duties are:

-ordering feed and bedding
-ensuring the quality of feed and bedding is high
-scheduling removal of maure
-mending fences
-training horses
-scheduling vet and farrier appointments
-maintaining records of the horses
-balancing the bank account
-advertising
-ensuring insurance is up to date and your barn meets its requirements
-dealing with unhappy clients
-teaching lessons
-thinking of ways to save money
-keeping up with the industry
-studying new techniques and products
-finding ways to improve the horses' health and happiness
-repair bandages, blankets, equipment
-deal with unhappy or unproductive workers

That is a list of some of the stuff I did as assistant barn manager. There is always something to be cleaned, organized, repaired, or ordered.

Agreed! Could not of said it better myself.
It is even more fun when you own your own place and you are barn owner, manager, groom, maintanence man all in one!!! I only usually have one other horse here at a time to train that is not mine, so there is not much point in hiring someone else to work for me, even though it would be nice to have someone else do some of the dirty work (like cleaning stalls) on the nights I am to tired and don't want to do it.

highlander 11-23-2008 04:47 PM

my lets use use the water, field, school, stables etc. we're diy so has nothing to do with the horses. tell the truth i think it is he's slightly afriad of them but with the problems in farming here he knew he'd have to exband his business.

PoptartShop 11-23-2008 10:42 PM

At my barn we have 2 BO's (they are husband & wife) & they are the barn managers as well. :D
I think they should check for any lameness, keep a farrier list (my BO's always have a list for the farrier on what horse's feet need to be done, they always check their hooves), feeding, watering, keeping things updated (like medicine & stuff), cleaning, they do teach lessons sometimes as well (although we have like 3-4 trainers), maitenence, etc. Pretty much all that everyone else said above. :D

MoonlightEm 04-24-2009 09:46 PM

I really expect a barn owner/manager to be a good communicator and deal with issues that arise at the barn. They can take the best care of the horses, but if they lack people skills then there will be problems!

Jubilee Rose 04-24-2009 11:36 PM

My barn managers are a husband & wife who own the barn, which is on the same property as their house. They are so great. They do so much for us ....

- fixing fences
- using the tractors (for leveling riding arena, etc)
- putting out round bales in the paddocks
- all around fixing
- deworming
- bringing the horses in on cold/rainy/snowy nights
- organizing spring vaccines and teeth work
- buying hay, bedding and grain
- offer use of trailer for a fee
- teaching lessons
- letting us hangout in their house

That's all I can think of for now!