The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Coat 'clumping'? Dropped fetlock? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/coat-clumping-dropped-fetlock-18006/)

twogeldings 11-20-2008 05:54 PM

Coat 'clumping'? Dropped fetlock?

My neighbor has a darling little chestnut colt, whom has a mild case of something. His coat has 'clumped' up in a few places on his hindquarters (when you run your hand over them, they feel like bumps). The bumps resemble nasty stings, but are not. The clumps will pull off if you pick at them.

I once had a old gelding that had the same thing, but far worse. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called or how it was treated. Can anyone help? I want to get this guy some sort of treatment plan before this colts problem turns into a huge issue.

smrobs 11-20-2008 06:03 PM

I am having trouble visualizing this issue but I think it could be rain-rot. I would advise them to have a vet check out the colt.

twogeldings 11-20-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 194142)
I am having trouble visualizing this issue but I think it could be rain-rot. I would advise them to have a vet check out the colt.

I googled it and that seems to be what he as, just not as bad as the horses on Google. I'd suggest a vet but I doubt the guy would go for it :( how do you treat this condition?

smrobs 11-20-2008 06:24 PM

I'm not 100% sure, I think daily antibiotics and an anti-fungal shampoo a couple times a week but you want to double check this cause I'm not really sure.

smrobs 11-20-2008 06:27 PM

I found this website but I don't know how correct this information is. I would consult a vet before using any treatment.

http://www.equusite.com/articles/hea...hRainRot.shtml

SonnyWimps 11-20-2008 06:36 PM

sounds like rain-rot to me.

Get some MTG, then with your nails pick off the scab and apply MTG to the spot. It will heal up within a couple of days. I find that MTG works the best

twogeldings 11-20-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps (Post 194162)
sounds like rain-rot to me.

Get some MTG, then with your nails pick off the scab and apply MTG to the spot. It will heal up within a couple of days. I find that MTG works the best

I really gotta look more into this MTG stuff, the more I hear about it, the more amazing it sounds.
I'll call my local shops tomorrow and see if anyone has any. The colt is such a little sweetie, I would hate to see him sold just because of a mild case of rain rot (his is REALLY mild too, all the more reason to tackle it pronto)

jazzyrider 11-21-2008 06:26 AM

i live in the tropics so i spend the majority of the summer fighting/dealing with rain rot. my #1 remedy is colloidal silver. a couple of squirts on the area once a day and it heals up super quick. #2 is a betadine wash. i wash them with betadine and then i have a spray bottle that i make up with betadine and water and i spray it directly on to the effected areas and leave it.

the silver is the most effective yet more expensive and vice versa for the betadine. the silver is invaluable in treating fungal type infections which is what rain rot is. they both do the job though

kickshaw 11-21-2008 12:32 PM

any athlete's foot cream or anti fungal cream will work ;-)

twogeldings 11-21-2008 03:44 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be going over there tomorrow to see how the little dudes doing.