The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Wired clipper problems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/wired-clipper-problems-180121/)

Lexiie 04-22-2013 09:07 PM

Wired clipper problems

So, I finally found out why I can clip my mare without her caring. I got a great pair or cordless clippers. She could care less about the noise.
It just occurred to me now.
When I tried two year ago, it was with corded clippers, and she did not like it. I tried the next year with cordless clippers and she was fine. I thought it was the weirdest thing that a horse who had never been clipper trained just let me go crazy with them all over her face and neck.

I just bought a pair of corded clippers to do her legs (more power and bigger blades) and she was snorting and stamping her feet, very nervous.

Could it be that the wire freaks her out because of our electric fences?
This isn't a huge concern, she was a very good girl, but what can I do to make it not stressful for her?
Thanks!! (:

cakemom 04-22-2013 09:18 PM

It's likely bc the wired clippers are much noisier. Perhaps though seeing the wire disturbs her, but if I had to bet it would be noise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 04-22-2013 09:34 PM

They're quieter than both of my cordless clippers.
Which is why I thought about it being the cord.

Muppetgirl 04-22-2013 09:48 PM

Are you using a surge protector cord? Some horses are ultra sensitive to static electricity caused through corded clippers - it's near impossible for us to detect, but a horse will blow up pretty fast after getting a static tickle or detecting a small surge through the clippers.

I used to clip horses professionally.....a surge protector cord might be what you need:wink:

ETA: are you keeping your clippers cool enough? Cleaning the vent while clipping and giving them a good douse in coolant and keeping the blades ultra sharp and turning the blade tension up as you proceed?

Lexiie 04-22-2013 09:52 PM

It was my first time using them, yes i was using a surge protector cord :D Yay, I made a good decision! haha

I only had them running for about 10 minutes total, after each leg we'd move around and clean up the hair. I brushed/blew them off in between each leg as well

Muppetgirl 04-22-2013 10:01 PM

Ok then, she's just making ado about nothing!! Keep at it and she will eventually decide that being a fairy is fruitless:wink: yes, you did make a good decision by using a surge protector cord......the amount of people who zap their horses and wonder why their horse is exploding each time they trip to clip amazes me.....I'd freak too if someone was walking towards me with a stun gun!!!

Lexiie 04-22-2013 10:12 PM

After ducking electric fences I'm pretty cautious about anything electric! haha

Saddlebag 04-22-2013 10:53 PM

My house has several ground fault interrupters on the outside (it's the law here). These are excellent when using power tools, no risk of shock, even a very slight one.

waresbear 04-24-2013 12:13 AM

Same here, every outside recepticle outdoors or in a kitchen or bathroom must have GFI's, must be a Canadian thing. Your horse must be feeling the extra vibration from the stronger motor, the cordless ones have different, softer vibration, less volts in the motor.

Lexiie 04-24-2013 10:31 AM

That's what I thought