The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Super feed agressive! any ideas! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/super-feed-agressive-any-ideas-18019/)

Jacksonlover 11-20-2008 09:36 PM

Super feed agressive! any ideas!

Jackson, the horse at the left, has major feed agression. every time you go in his stall he pins his ears and shoves his bootty in your face. so i use my crop to keep his booty out of my face and normally fusss at him. when i get the rope on him, i give him a thorough whip with the rope. i honestly don't like doing this. Any Suggestions?

Zab 11-20-2008 09:42 PM

Why are you whipping him with the rope?

SonnyWimps 11-20-2008 09:48 PM

alot of problems come from stalling a horse...including feed aggression.
When you come in, does he have food?
Is it agression towards hay? Grain? both?

I'd start out with groundwork. He's not respecting you and you are in danger because of it. work on getting him to respect you and listen to you more.

EDIT: And I'd stop whipping your horse with the lead rope. The turning his back to you could be a trust thing that he is afraid of you

3days3ways 11-20-2008 09:55 PM

i agree... whipping is just like putting a band-aid over the problem instead of fixing it. like stated before you should do basic ground work getting mutual trust. i work with multiple horses, and when one is aggressive when i come in with food (and i have the time haha) i go in and immediately if they are aggressive i either walk out and try it again until they do not have as much of a reaction or i put the food down and stand in front of it, and if they try and shove me out of the way, i shoo them away (not by physical contact) until they patiently wait.

the main thing is respect here, but you can't expect immediate results unfortunately especially b/c now he's probably expecting to get hit every time you catch him, which is gonna make it harder...
sorry i didn't have happier things to say! but hope i helped a bit... good luck!

fedex 11-21-2008 01:43 AM

Then don't do it.... :/

Jacksonlover 11-21-2008 05:03 PM

okay, thanks Sonny, its both, grain and hay, and when i wasn't there, he shoved some one while he was being watered. but how should i punish him for being agressive? whipping him is the only thing i know to do. i definitely don't wanna jerk his head, that will make him head shy. Everywhere else though he is a sweeet heart, its just in his stall when he has grain or , but mainly hay.

and he isn't afraid, its pure agression. see before he came to his current stable, he was pastured with many horses for probably most of his life. but in this herd, he was lower rank and had to fight for his food, which was mainly hay. and he always seems to do better away from other horses. which i figured this from his background aswell.

Joshie 11-21-2008 06:43 PM

I'd work with him on the ground. He needs to see you as the top dog.

Zab 11-21-2008 08:19 PM

Just ignore the bad behavior or shoo him away if he gets to close (start with voice, then waving hands and if he doesn't listen, throw/lash out with the rope untill he moves away.). Whipping him after you've catched him is far far too late.. he can only connect that with getting whipped for letting you put the rope on him.

Jacksonlover 11-21-2008 09:20 PM

oh!!! thanks Zab!!! i never thought of it like that!!! he is just seeing that being caught is a bad thing. he doesn't truely realize that he is getting punished for his rudeness!!! thanks you soooooooo much! well, know that i know what i am doing wrong, i can start by doing something better. i know what to do now, thank you soo much!

Zab 11-21-2008 09:48 PM

No problem, I hope it helps :)
Remember to never hit a horse unless he bit or kicked you (or seriously tried to kick). Listen to him and he'll wrn you efore that happen. Respond by correcting him (as in making him do something he should do instead and pat him for it) or push him away from your space, like in this case. You can give warnings back too, if you look for his reactions and can do it when he's not dangerous. But it's better to correct him into doing something right. As if he moves when you've tied him, and you want him to be still; just put him back again.
If he's aggressive, ''push'' him out of your space and then ignore him when he's at a safe distance (or pretend to ignore him), that'll rather make him curious, especially if there's nothing more fun to do around there.

And a punishment must always, always come within half a second from the offence.