The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Am I the only one that likes this mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/am-i-only-one-likes-mare-180209/)

NordicJuniper 04-23-2013 01:56 AM

Am I the only one that likes this mare?

So I want some unbiased opinions on this mare. She is a 9 year old Shire/QH cross. She is only about 14.2hh [so I am told, she looks bigger] and is super thick. Takes up a lot of leg, so good for a bigger rider.

She has packed, been ridden, and drives. Been on some long, long trail rides and is just a great all around mare.

I may be buying her in August and was curious to what others thought about her. She would used as a pleasure riding horse for my husband who is a beginner rider but a bigger guy. He wants a draft or draft cross and will settle for nothing less lol.

She is $900. And I am really drawn to her for some reason.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...03769651_n.jpg

alexischristina 04-23-2013 02:00 AM

If she's up for sale now are you sure she's even going to be around in August? No sense in falling in love with a horse you wont be able to buy... I have absolutely no experience with heavier draft crosses, I've only dealt with the crosses that have taken the 'lighter' genes. She's cute, though, definitely a big girl and does NOT look 14.2 hh to me...

SorrelHorse 04-23-2013 02:37 AM

you'd be surprised how big a 14.2hh horse really is on a wicket, but I agree that I don't think she looks it.

I think she's cute but what will you use her for?

NordicJuniper 04-23-2013 02:41 AM

She isn't listed for sale. The owner would just be willing to sell her to me in August. Only reason I am waiting that long is because she is like 6hrs from me and it is pricey to haul her. They do an annual trail ride at the end of August at a place that is only a little over an hour away so that would be ideal.

She would be a trail horse for my husband since I don't have a horse that he can ride right now. I would use her as well for pleasure riding and might try her at English just for fun. No showing at all as neither one of us show.

SorrelHorse 04-23-2013 02:44 AM

Then by all means, go check her out. She would be good for what you want I suspect.

tinyliny 04-23-2013 02:48 AM

I like her. I like draft crosses. if the saddle she has fits, and it's a good enough quality, buy it too. Might be hard to fit her.

FeatheredFeet 04-23-2013 07:54 AM

I like her and I imagine your husband will too. She is handsome. Have you actually ridden her or seen her ridden? She does appear taller than stated, but drafts often do.

She seem to be well trained and suitable for your needs. I would trim of that little bit of feathering, since it's not enough to be considered feather and is just enough to make her look untidy. I'd rather like to see her under English tack, when all spruced up. She does toe in at the front and toe out in the rear. Her pasterns in front do seem rather long and sloping.

Regardless, she's worth considering for an all-round, family horse.

Lizzie

gigem88 04-23-2013 07:57 AM

I like her, she has some impish eyes! Looks like she has a lot of character behind those eyes.

franknbeans 04-23-2013 09:24 AM

I like her too! Unless the person on her is a midget, she is bigger than stated for sure!

EmilyJoy 04-23-2013 09:54 AM

I don't know that'd she'd be that far from 14.2hh maybe 14.3-15ish but close to that. The dog in the background has really short legs (maybe making the horse look bigger), and it looks like the picture is tilted up (looks like she is a short gal too)... Never the less the mare looks like a nice stocky/sturdy horse.