The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   making a poultice (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/making-poultice-180249/)

sempre_cantando 04-23-2013 03:19 AM

making a poultice

Does anyone have a recipe for making a poultice for a hoof abscess? I have been buying the commercial animalintex one at $25 per packet which lasts exactly 1.5 days when following the instructions :shock: Its getting expensive and in all honesty, it just looks like plain cotton wool for all the money I am spending on it! Any ideas on what else to use that will be cheaper?

walkinthewalk 04-23-2013 08:00 AM

I have used the AnimalIntex pads for strains and other leg issues with great success.

I have never used them to draw an abscess.

What I have found to work the best for an abscess is plain old Epsom Salts and warm water.

I had been soaking my horse twice a day for 3 or 4 days. It was the first and only abscess I'd ever dealt with, so I called the vet, in a panic, on the 4th day.

He dug the abscess out and thanked me profusely for making his job easier.

He said soaking in Epsom salts was the best thing I could have done and it was already past the half way point of being ready to blow.

All while he was handing me the bill:-(

Missy May 04-23-2013 06:25 PM

I keep a can of Ichthammol around in case one ever gets a hoof abcess. They never have had one, so I can't say if it works - personally, but I have seen others use it w success.

And, like walkinthe said, espom salt soaks are excellent for drawing out "stuff".

Sherian 04-23-2013 08:00 PM

cheapest poultice is bran and epsom salts, I use animallintex as it is a not nearly as messy.

Missy May 04-23-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherian (Post 2324601)
cheapest poultice is bran and epsom salts, I use animallintex as it is a not nearly as messy.

I agree it is for makng fresh and applying by "holding directly onto" a wound or something like strangles sores...but it doesn't have the "stick power" for a hoof abcess. The bran is just a medium for the salt.

Sherian 04-23-2013 09:19 PM

yes the bran is a medium for the epsom salts, I've never had a problem with the hoof wrap not keeping it in place even when the horse is turned out. Personally if I was "holding directly onto" I would just use a compress of epsom salts and water.
There is a billion and one concoctions for abcesses, like you said icthamol, red udder ointment is popular, epsom salt and DMSO etc etc. Bran and epsom salts are just something people tend to have around the barn - its a cheap and easy homemade poultice, very old school.
animalintex is about $15 a pack here, the precut hoof shaped pads may be more? It does have "stuff" infused into the gamgee, but what it actually is slips my mind at the moment.

Missy May 04-23-2013 10:21 PM

I have never tried using bran/salts in a bandage on a wound, I just have hand applied it. I will have to reconsider - b/c it works better than anything. I save old socks for this purpose, white ones that can are bleached..fill 'em w them w the dry bran/salts when needed...and just toss the whole thing when I am done. Bran can "turn" quickly, would be my only concern for applying it w a bandage. Yeah, things that work tend to become "classic" (old way).

But, ichthammol is cheap and it sticks beyond belief...as in, it will take turpentine to quickly get it off your hands!

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-23-2013 10:27 PM

Epsom salts and warm water, ichthammol drawing salve if the abscess is in the right spot. Sugar-dine to pack the sole if it opens up there. Pine Tar. There are many drawing agents, they just aren't as neat and handy as a pre-made animalintex poultice.

PaintMommy87 04-25-2013 08:41 PM

3M Animalintex Horse Hoof Poultice Pad 8 x 16 in 1395P 3M | eBay

$10.36 with free shipping...

farmpony84 04-25-2013 08:44 PM

I use this stuff. It's pre-made and comes in a bucket. I bought some last summer and it is still perfectly useable. I use it for tons of stuff and LOVE it....

A&J's Ice Poultice Whips and Products