The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rice Bran or Beat Pulp Help!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rice-bran-beat-pulp-help-18033/)

steph81285 11-21-2008 02:45 AM

Rice Bran or Beat Pulp Help!?!

Ok folks my mare is kinda hard to keep weight on and was considering either rice bran or beat pulp with her grain. What I am mainly trying to do is just keep her at a healthy weight without having to up her grain intake. Just in case people ask she is on grass hay and orchard blue grass and does fine on that with grain but want to try to cut back if I can. :?

jazzyrider 11-21-2008 07:22 AM

beet pulp. ive not long switched from bran to the pulp and the pulp is sooo much better. i have 2 tb's and one is a particularly hard doer but she has come up really nice on the pulp

Peggysue 11-21-2008 08:05 AM

which "grain" is she on??? Many times a grain based feed will stop a horse from being able to gain weight because it is causing stomach issues...

if you are just needing added calories I would go with Beet Pulp ....

brittany 11-21-2008 12:38 PM

Beet Pulp!!

Beet Pulp is really good for making horses gain weight!!!! My 15 year old gelding is now a big beaster lol so is my 1 yr old!!! My other 1 yr old is starting to pick up quite a bit of weight too. I know somebody that uses it for her Grand Prix Dressage horses and they are extremely healthy and fat at the same time!!! We got the pelleted kind with molasses b/c it seems like a lot of places around here are always running out of shredded beet pulp...It's also supposed to be really good in helping their digestive system work better and to get their hind gut workin' :)

kickshaw 11-21-2008 01:31 PM

Beet Pulp if you have the time to soak it (some people swear that it doesn't have to be soaked, but I'd rather take the safe road)

and rice bran if you aren't able to soak it.

Rice bran is fed in smaller quantities and has a higher fat content.

Beet Pulp is more of a forage type, and is known for providing "cool calories"

good luck!

steph81285 11-21-2008 01:35 PM

Thank you guys! Looks like it will be beet pulp. Also, do I need to soak it before I feed it??

She is on sweet feed with Northwest Horse Supplement for vitamins.

kickshaw 11-21-2008 01:36 PM

yes, please soak it.

some people don't soak it, but it's much safer (IMO) to feed if it has been soaked ;-)

steph81285 11-21-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickshaw (Post 194656)
Beet Pulp if you have the time to soak it (some people swear that it doesn't have to be soaked, but I'd rather take the safe road)

and rice bran if you aren't able to soak it.

Rice bran is fed in smaller quantities and has a higher fat content.

Beet Pulp is more of a forage type, and is known for providing "cool calories"

good luck!

Great thanks!

Peggysue 11-21-2008 02:19 PM

I personally soak it as well... the way I do it is I bring the serving for evening in in morning soak it then bring morning feeding in at night and soak it

it does not need ot soak for long thing 1/2 hour or more ... so when I get up in morning I add water have my tea and ciggy then go down to feed.... in the evening I put the water in when I leave to pick up my son from school and feed a couple hours later ... I have soaked as short as ten minutes and as long as 5 hours ... dont' think I have ever soaked 12 hours like some people say too ...

brittany 11-21-2008 02:22 PM

Soak It

If you don't soak the beet pulp, there's a higher chance that your horse will choke on the hard pieces...so just as long as you soak it that's probably the safer thing to do :)