The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Shaving a horses muzzle of show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/shaving-horses-muzzle-show-180337/)

RunningJumpingHorses 04-23-2013 11:28 AM

Shaving a horses muzzle of show

I was wondering if you could use people razors to shave a horses "whiskers"? I've seen the horse shaver things and I know people use clippers but I don't own a pair. So would people razors work just as well? I was thinking about getting those pink travel ones that come in the value bag.
Posted via Mobile Device

GamingGrrl 04-23-2013 12:23 PM

Yep! That's what I did before I had my own clippers, and to be honest I much prefer the human razors anyways. It takes some time and you have to be careful, but it works. Remember to clip/shave in the sunlight and look at the muzzle from all different angles, the hairs like to hide. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

RunningJumpingHorses 04-23-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 2318833)
Yep! That's what I did before I had my own clippers, and to be honest I much prefer the human razors anyways. It takes some time and you have to be careful, but it works. Remember to clip/shave in the sunlight and look at the muzzle from all different angles, the hairs like to hide. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 04-23-2013 08:06 PM

Use clippers or scissors to trim them as close as you can, then a disposable razor to make it "smooth, close shave". Learned this trick from a Arab person.

NBEventer 04-23-2013 08:08 PM

Unless you are showing in a halter class I wouldn't shave the whiskers. A horses whiskers are their "feelers" to help them at night. Its actually illegal in FEI shows to clip them. I trim my horses down a bit but still leave enough so they still have their feelers.

RunningJumpingHorses 04-23-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBEventer (Post 2324065)
Unless you are showing in a halter class I wouldn't shave the whiskers. A horses whiskers are their "feelers" to help them at night. Its actually illegal in FEI shows to clip them. I trim my horses down a bit but still leave enough so they still have their feelers.

Just checked and its not.
Posted via Mobile Device

NBEventer 04-23-2013 09:45 PM

What is not? Shaving whiskers? Not at your local shows no. But in FEI(International level) it is a huge no no. There is no reason at all to shave them unless you are doing a halter class. Especially since you are doing jumpers. Why would you want to take away your horses sense of feel? Their whiskers are very important to them at night.

trackstar 04-23-2013 09:54 PM

If you have any, I suggest using the really cheap razors. The ones that are like 1 or 2 blades. They are sharp enough to trim the whiskers but will not cut the skin if you got too close :)

waresbear 04-23-2013 10:04 PM

Disposable razors, like a Bic, don't cut skin, just whiskers. I do this for every show, makes a polished appearance and the whiskers are back to about 4 or 5 inches within a week, no biggie.

GamingGrrl 04-23-2013 10:11 PM

I've never had a problem after shaving whiskers, my boys are pasture kept and find their way around just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device