The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Germany (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/germany-180369/)

Taffy Clayton 04-23-2013 11:10 AM

Germany

I am going to visit my husbands family in Germany this fall.
I have never been to Europe, and Hubby hasn't been Back to Germany in 35 years.
Hubby still has 6 uncles and aunts and a couple dozen cousins in Germany.
I have met several of his family members when they come to Missouri to visit hubby's parents.
Hubby and I are staying with one of his aunts and uncles and have plans for dinner and outings with at least 8 other family members.

My question, Does anyone have any ideas of gifts to bring? They need to fit into my suitcase. Now with the internet, you can get anything from anywhere, So it looses its excitement to bring something exclusive of the US.
But I would like to bring something that they wouldn't have in Germany

When they come to visit us the Germans always bring Chocolate , powdered soup bases and spices. Which I love.
My Mother in law said towels, because the towels in Germany are not great, but I can't believe that.
I make my own maple syrup and was going to bring some of that, but the in laws said German's don't have pancakes.

They are not equestrians, but I think some of them are still farmers.

deserthorsewoman 04-23-2013 12:12 PM

Which area are you going to? If they had US military nearby they surely got to know certain things American but not available there.
Other than that I'd try to find out about hobbies or other likes and find something fitting. Oh yeah, and towels we have;-)
If you let me know these things I'll try to help( having a hard time this since I mainly longed for anything equine when still there lol)

jaydee 04-23-2013 12:19 PM

I lived in Germany for a year and cant recall there being anything there that they didn't have that we have in the US - though there are things that we had there and in the UK that I cant find here - but probably because I haven't looked hard enough!! Europes pretty much like one big country these days so what they have in the UK they will have in Germany and we had Maple Syrup - and pancakes
I think some tasteful US ornaments that are more exclusive or traditional to this country would be nice and a lasting reminder of your visit.

Taffy Clayton 04-23-2013 12:30 PM

Thanks,I thought they probably had towels there.
I am going south of Ulm.

I know they used to love stuff from the New York Yankies or Levis but you can now get those thing anywhere.
I know Cousin Tomas loves Budweiser, since I have worked in the AB family for 30 years I have that covered. Do German's wear baseball hats?

We actually thought about bringing a frozen whole beef tenderloin with us in our carry on bags, but it is against customs.
When we had some family from Germany for dinner we had a seafood boil, we were trying to cook something that they might not have had before. We did get a request to bring some "Old Bay Seafood Seasoning".

I am going to check on the hobbies.

Taffy Clayton 04-23-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 2319337)
I lived in Germany for a year and cant recall there being anything there that they didn't have that we have in the US - though there are things that we had there and in the UK that I cant find here - but probably because I haven't looked hard enough!! Europes pretty much like one big country these days so what they have in the UK they will have in Germany and we had Maple Syrup - and pancakes
I think some tasteful US ornaments that are more exclusive or traditional to this country would be nice and a lasting reminder of your visit.

My in laws never have pancakes so I guess they figure that the aunts and uncles don't either. They were just telling us what they have in the morning.
I know you can now get just about anything anywhere.

I don't speak German, my husband does, The aunts and uncles do not speak English, but they say most of the cousins do.
What about a corn cob pipe made in Washington, MO. The one thing I can think of that is truly and only MO.:wink:

jaydee 04-23-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 2319625)
My in laws never have pancakes so I guess they figure that the aunts and uncles don't either. They were just telling us what they have in the morning.
I know you can now get just about anything anywhere.

I don't speak German, my husband does, The aunts and uncles do not speak English, but they say most of the cousins do.
What about a corn cob pipe made in Washington, MO. The one thing I can think of that is truly and only MO.:wink:

Now if I was a man I'd love something like that - but then I'm a lover of chotchkies, little things that mean more to me in terms of sentimental value - like stuff my kids bought me when they were little - than all the expensive stuff or practical items
Most Germans speak good English - my sister in law is German and she spoke it as well as we do when she first moved to the UK - she now struggles to use her own language.

deserthorsewoman 04-23-2013 12:57 PM

They wear baseball caps:-)
bring what's being requested for starters. Beef would be great, but obviously not allowed. You can find Bud in Germany, so I'd probably opt for a Bud mug or glass or sth.
South of Ulm.....im from south of Ulm lol....about 100 miles south.
I guess best bet is hobbies, the homemade maple sirup with the pancake recipe AND a try out.
And when you give me some hobbies, I can guide you a bit.

gunslinger 04-23-2013 01:06 PM

How about a good bar-b-Que sauce?

Taffy Clayton 04-23-2013 02:13 PM

I do like Bar B Que sauce idea!

DHW, we are staying in Untersulmetingen and Obersulmetingen, just west of Laupheim.

I am going to try and get an equestrian fix, if possible, somewhere along the way.

deserthorsewoman 04-23-2013 05:37 PM

BBQ sauce sounds great, and steak seasoning:-)
For the fix: do a day trip to the Black Forest, to Marbach. Haupt- und Landgestuet, state stud. Warmbloods, light drafts( Schwarzwaelder Fuechse), not present here as far as I know, and a historic herd of Arabians. I'll get back with you on possible stallion parades;-)