The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   How fast have you clocked your gaited? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/how-fast-have-you-clocked-your-18047/)

twogeldings 11-21-2008 12:53 PM

How fast have you clocked your gaited?

My Missouri Fox Trotter gelding, Loki, was once clocked at 19 mph in the middle of his amazing, blazing Fox Trot on a trail ride. When this guy moves, he MOVES.

I can't wait to start training his half brother and clock him. He has a beautiful floating fox trot (Loki is very flashy). It looks smooth as cream :-)

Vidaloco 11-26-2008 08:25 AM

Good question :? Vida has a very fast thread, but I've never clocked her before. I think I can do it with my GPS, when I do I'll be sure to post it :D

Curly_Horse_CMT 11-26-2008 10:02 AM

My Curly mare Shaneequah can go at about five or six miles an hour at her curly shuffle (faster then a flat walk but slower then a trot. Kinda like her jog, if you will) At her trot she can extend up to sixteen miles an hour and at her collected canter she goes eight.

kickshaw 11-26-2008 10:04 AM

check this out!

i think they said they clocked him at 25 MPH (40kilos per hour)

Siggav 11-26-2008 06:30 PM

Kickshaw! That's a beautiful horse

I've ridden very fast tölt/rack or running walk or whatever you want to call it but never thought of clocking it. That wasn't on my horse. He had a nice slow tölt but always dropped into trot when it came to high speeds.

I just checked and the current record for 250m pace in Icelandic horses is just under 20sec. That's 28mph. That's *fast* for an essentially pony sized horse.

Here's a good competition Icy tölting. Going the range from slow to very fast.

Looking at that though. Wow I miss riding gaited horses. So smooth.

yv0nne 11-28-2008 01:16 PM

Oh man I've ALWAYS wanted an Icelandic. So jealous of those of you who are riding them and jealous of the speeds your folks gaited horses are moving. I've heard it's amazingly smooth, I'm itching to try it out!

PoptartShop 11-28-2008 03:07 PM

Woah- that's fast! :shock: Nice videos, & gorgeous horses. There are some gaited horses @ my barn; they are so smooth! :D I love their trot.

Overlook Ranch 11-28-2008 07:07 PM

My husband and I own three MFT and one old retired quarter horse---our baby sitter. This past summer we went camping with our two main "Boys" and our neighbors with their TWH. We had ridden all day long, and I might throw in here---some very strenuous grounds since we got lost for a bit in the Big South Fork (Tennessee), and when going back to the campground, going up hill--our boys were still full of it. Our friend's GPS clocked us going 19MPH---and it was the smoothest, most effortless pace you could hope for. MAN, those MFT our tops!

Vidaloco 12-01-2008 06:58 AM

I need to get my directions out for my GPS. I tried to get a reading this weekend and couldn't get one. It was overcast and I was having a bugger of a time holding my GPS, my winter gloves and the reins. We got to 10 mph and it stuck there. Wouldn't go down even after we stopped. Oh well, I'll give it another try on a not so overcast, glove-less day. :wink: