The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   bald tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/bald-tail-18054/)

farmpony84 11-21-2008 02:46 PM

bald tail

Ri has scratched all the hair out of his tail (the top part). I've dewormed him and I'm going to get some MTG... any other suggestions?

free_sprtd 11-21-2008 02:47 PM

what about braiding or wrapping? I know you said it's at the top, but maybe it will help? sorry not of much help!

wow is that your house? you already got that much snow!?!?!? LUCKY!

luvs2ride1979 11-21-2008 03:19 PM

What did you deworm him with and how much of it?

Did you check under the tail for ticks or other skin irritation? Check between his back legs too.

Sometimes gelding that need their sheath cleaned with rub their tails.

farmpony84 11-21-2008 08:06 PM

I used ivermectin. i picked up strongid too, i'll give him that tomorrow. mtg'd today and that's a good idea. i'll clean between his legs and his sheath tomorrow.....

BarneyBabby 11-22-2008 10:03 AM

Sounds like your doing everything right (mtg works amazing!) but if he keeps rubbing you might want to deworm him again.

not much of a help but I try

Ryle 11-22-2008 10:28 AM

It's pretty unlikely that your horse is scratching himself bald over parasites, especially since you've dewormed with ivermectin. No need to just keep dosing him with different drugs every so often.

Check his sheath and penis carefully for beans, parasites and just general filth as this is a common cause of tail rubbing in male horses (in females gunk in between the teats can cause it). And check the tail itself for any sign of parasites--from attached ticks to very tiny moving things (lice) or small white things that look similar to bot eggs attached to the hairs.

farmpony84 11-22-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryle (Post 195162)
It's pretty unlikely that your horse is scratching himself bald over parasites, especially since you've dewormed with ivermectin. No need to just keep dosing him with different drugs every so often.

Check his sheath and penis carefully for beans, parasites and just general filth as this is a common cause of tail rubbing in male horses (in females gunk in between the teats can cause it). And check the tail itself for any sign of parasites--from attached ticks to very tiny moving things (lice) or small white things that look similar to bot eggs attached to the hairs.

Will do... Thanks!

sonnysfirststar 11-23-2008 10:53 PM

I have the same problem! I have had my gelding for 3 years and last winter i had to lease him out do to unavoidable circumstances when he came back last april his tail was all rubbed out up top i have him on a regular worming program and i dont think its worms Im eager to hear some more ideas i have found everyones suggestions so far very helpful thanks guys!!:lol:

kickshaw 11-24-2008 02:54 PM

mtg works great - when Boo's tail gets itchy, i will also use an antifungal...works every time!

farmpony84 11-24-2008 04:44 PM

well... i did all of the above... so... not sure what was the one thing that helped....(I did a crappy job on the sheath because it's so cold outside) but I THINK the MTG did the job... I think that is where I am placing the credit....