The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Need help on educating someone about being a possible horse hoarder (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/need-help-educating-someone-about-being-180545/)

tiffrmcoy 04-23-2013 01:38 PM

Need help on educating someone about being a possible horse hoarder

Wasn't sure where to post this but anyway I have an aunt and uncle who own like 12 horses 5 of which are studs (they're not a breeding farm and none of the studs are broke) 4 mares one is currently pregnant that they know of could be more and 2 have babies at their side oh and surprise they're both stud colts so they will soon have 7 studs and a gelding. All of their horses are in the same pasture and they just keep breeding and breeding and their mares are having foals left and right and my aunt and uncle don't seem to be minding it because they won't get any of the studs clipped, to tell you the truth I don't think they can afford to get them clipped. They recently lost their land and all of their horses are on my grandma's 10 acre property, I know they love their horses but it worries me that they are going to get in over their heads if they don't either sell or start clipping studs. I've tried to talk to them before about it and they just get aggravated every time I bring up the fact that they have to many studs and that their herd is just going to keep growing and soon their going to be over whelmed and I'm afraid it's going to get to the point to where they're going to have to make a choice to feed their family or their horses and I think we all know who is going to get the short end of the stick in that situation. So I was wanting to know if anyone would know a way I could approach the situation and help them better understand. I love them and their my family and the last thing I want is them to be mad at me and not speak to me again but their like horse hoarders. None of their horses are skinny or starving but they do lack vet care none of them have ever had shots or coggins done and recently like a month ago 2 mares died back to back within 2 days of each other of unknown causes I suspected pigeon fever but I'm not a vet so I'm not really sure. I just wanted to know if someone could help me help them sheds some light one their situation. Out where they live there is no animal shelter or rescue groups they're way out in the middle of no where and I'm just worried about the horses and of course my family's well being. I've even tried to buy horses off of them but they don't want to sell I've been trying for almost 3 yrs to buy horses of them to re-home them but they just won't sell them and its so frustrating to me. So any help? It would be nice because they way I was trying to go about it was just not working, I was just being blunt with them and obviously that didn't work I need to find a way to break it to them gently but they are so sensitive on this subject that its hard for them to even think about selling or giving away one of them.

Corporal 04-23-2013 01:42 PM

If horses are dying, call the authorities. IF the authorities do nothing, call the local news stations.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-23-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffrmcoy (Post 2320281)
Wasn't sure where to post this but anyway I have an aunt and uncle who own like 12 horses 5 of which are studs (they're not a breeding farm and none of the studs are broke) 4 mares one is currently pregnant that they know of could be more and 2 have babies at their side oh and surprise they're both stud colts so they will soon have 7 studs and a gelding. All of their horses are in the same pasture and they just keep breeding and breeding and their mares are having foals left and right and my aunt and uncle don't seem to be minding it because they won't get any of the studs clipped, to tell you the truth I don't think they can afford to get them clipped. They recently lost their land and all of their horses are on my grandma's 10 acre property, I know they love their horses but it worries me that they are going to get in over their heads if they don't either sell or start clipping studs. I've tried to talk to them before about it and they just get aggravated every time I bring up the fact that they have to many studs and that their herd is just going to keep growing and soon their going to be over whelmed and I'm afraid it's going to get to the point to where they're going to have to make a choice to feed their family or their horses and I think we all know who is going to get the short end of the stick in that situation. So I was wanting to know if anyone would know a way I could approach the situation and help them better understand. I love them and their my family and the last thing I want is them to be mad at me and not speak to me again but their like horse hoarders. None of their horses are skinny or starving but they do lack vet care none of them have ever had shots or coggins done and recently like a month ago 2 mares died back to back within 2 days of each other of unknown causes I suspected pigeon fever but I'm not a vet so I'm not really sure. I just wanted to know if someone could help me help them sheds some light one their situation. Out where they live there is no animal shelter or rescue groups they're way out in the middle of no where and I'm just worried about the horses and of course my family's well being. I've even tried to buy horses off of them but they don't want to sell I've been trying for almost 3 yrs to buy horses of them to re-home them but they just won't sell them and its so frustrating to me. So any help? It would be nice because they way I was trying to go about it was just not working, I was just being blunt with them and obviously that didn't work I need to find a way to break it to them gently but they are so sensitive on this subject that its hard for them to even think about selling or giving away one of them.

Walk away. They have shown you over and over they don't want your help and have no intention of changing anything. I know it's aggravating and you don't want to see the horses be short changed because of them, but if a person refuses all help, then the only thing you can do is to walk away from the issue. TX is like OK, until those horses are starving or dying from some disease, as long as there is food and water on the property no one will interfere with property owner's right. And horses ARE property in those 2 states.

tiffrmcoy 04-23-2013 01:46 PM

Tried calling the cops they did nothing because they're horses "looked healthy" didn't think about the news station. How would I even go about doing that?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-23-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffrmcoy (Post 2320417)
Tried calling the cops they did nothing because they're horses "looked healthy" didn't think about the news station. How would I even go about doing that?

If there are no dead horse carcasses laying around, you're not going to get anywhere as long as they look healthy and have food and water. At some point in time, if they are not fed and looking starved, then you'll get some action. Right now? They own several mares and stallions and are breeding them. There's nothing in the law against that, nor that says they can't breed indiscriminately, as much as a responsible person/breeder hates to see it. Legally, based only on what you've said so far, they aren't doing anything wrong.

tiffrmcoy 04-23-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 2320465)
If there are no dead horse carcasses laying around, you're not going to get anywhere as long as they look healthy and have food and water. At some point in time, if they are not fed and looking starved, then you'll get some action. Right now? They own several mares and stallions and are breeding them. There's nothing in the law against that, nor that says they can't breed indiscriminately, as much as a responsible person/breeder hates to see it. Legally, based only on what you've said so far, they aren't doing anything wrong.

Didn't look at it that way but you are right. It's just a bit frustrating.

waresbear 04-23-2013 02:05 PM

If they are animal Hoarders, then it's a mental problem and I doubt there is anything you could do, short of psychiatric councelling. Unfortunately it's a sad situation, but if their horses are not starving and their hooves are not overgrown there is not much to report to authorities. There is a lady here just like your relatives, she has lots of land and a former equestrian center that has fallen into bad disrepair. Many years ago, she used to show, train and breed horses very successfully but as the years went on, she lost partners in her operation now doesn't do anything but let her horses breed and throws roundbales out for them in the winter. Her neighbors do report her if they see any infractions, the SPCA ceased 7 stallions that she kept in stalls for 10 years, only exercise they got was she would turn them out in her indoor arena when she cleaned stalls which wasn't too regularly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 04-23-2013 02:06 PM

Th only thing you can do really is offer to pay or help pay for at least some of the studs to be gelded. You could always do it under the guise that you are concerned that on such a small pasture that the studs may start fighting.

EmsTNWalkers 04-23-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 2320577)
Th only thing you can do really is offer to pay or help pay for at least some of the studs to be gelded. You could always do it under the guise that you are concerned that on such a small pasture that the studs may start fighting.

The studs fighting is an absolute reality, I'm surprised they aren't already. 7 studs together with mares in heat (being the time of year for it) and on only 10 acres...I'm surprised there haven't been deaths yet!

Speaking of the 10 acres, since it is not their's and actually belongs to the Grandmother, can you mention something to her and see if she is willing to require they get rid of some? She should realize since they are on her property she is legally responsible for them. If one of those 7 studs gets out and gets into and adjoining pasture with mares-her fault, if they become emaciated and animal control comes out-her fault, etc. Maybe bringing up those issues would encourage her to take action.

Just a thought.

LadyDreamer 04-24-2013 12:13 AM

Contact local horse rescues, veterinarians, and/or animal shelters to see if there are any gelding clinics going to be offered this year in your area, or if any would offer a discount on multiples. Once you get the information, pass it along in a nonchalant "look what I found" kind of way, not a "you need to do this you filthy hoarders" way. Pass the information along, with kind encouragement to possibly the aunt(we women are easier to convince to roll the boys down the hallway it seems) and go on your way.

My dad can't stand to see a horse suffer. Our neighbor has five or so with barely any grass and rarely any hay. They break the fence to get to our grass. He struggles not feeding them, but I do remind him that the AC can't do anything until they look terrible.
Posted via Mobile Device