The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Filly born without eyes? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/filly-born-without-eyes-180561/)

AndersonEquestrian 04-23-2013 02:07 PM

Filly born without eyes?

So a friend of mine and I adopted a mare who had a filly born without eyes. So we will have the mare and foal soon. Filly seems to have some vision in the right eye but none in the left. We are not sure yet though.

What would you do if you had a foal born with no eyes? Would you put them down? Or would you Keep them? If you would keep them, how would you deal with training a blind (or mostly blind) foal?
Posted via Mobile Device

xxdanioo 04-23-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndersonEquestrian (Post 2320617)
So a friend of mine and I adopted a mare who had a filly born without eyes. So we will have the mare and foal soon. Filly seems to have some vision in the right eye but none in the left. We are not sure yet though.

What would you do if you had a foal born with no eyes? Would you put them down? Or would you Keep them? If you would keep them, how would you deal with training a blind (or mostly blind) foal?
Posted via Mobile Device

So the filly does have eyes then?

AndersonEquestrian 04-23-2013 02:13 PM

She might have one.. It is not developed fully though if she has one. It is very small and she has to turn her head in a very awkward way to see (if she can see).
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 04-23-2013 02:14 PM

I would put it to sleep.

Speed Racer 04-23-2013 02:20 PM

If you're going to keep the filly, I'd have a complete physical exam done. If she was born without eyes or just one small one, there are likely to be other things wrong with her as well.

As far as training her, good luck. You both have a lot of challenges ahead of you.

AndersonEquestrian 04-23-2013 02:22 PM

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...psd5e723cf.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...psf0f89b41.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 04-23-2013 02:29 PM

I would keep her alive for sure, unless she becomes dangerous to herself or others.

My, much older, mare is nearly blind and she functions super well. She needs a little extra "help" at times, bells on pasturemates, etc, but she's ridden often and has no major life issues related to her sight loss. In a new large pasture, I have to section it off so she doesn't get too worked up about having a large new space but otherwise she does just fine in a 6 acre pasture.

I might put a small bell on mom - braid it into moms' mane or something, but just take it day by day.

I also wear my keys on a carabiner attached to a belt loop on my jeans, around my mare, (wearing a bell would work too) so she can keep track of me. I used to not do that and, while she did fine, there always seemed to be an element of stress about where I was for her. Now that I jingle, she's A LOT more relaxed around me.

Good luck!
I really love that my mare is nearly blind. I would obviously love it if she were fully seeing but blindness is not nearly the death sentence most think of it as. She does take a bit more care than the average horse but that's ok for me since I like feeling needed and she definitely needs me! haha

ETA- I totally second SR and getting a full exam to make sure nothing else is wrong. For sure.

Roperchick 04-23-2013 02:30 PM

Get a complete exam done like SR said. If there's nothing else wrong I would see what the options are for that eye I.e. complete removal IMO she's young so she would be able to adjust faster than an older horse.

And then if you and your friend are up to it and have the experience then I would go for keeping her

BellaMFT 04-23-2013 02:30 PM

:cry: Honestly. Sad to say but I would put her down.

BrieannaKelly 04-23-2013 02:31 PM

My heart breaks on cases like this. Part of me would want to 'save' her since she seems to fight to be alive and does well. But on the other hand I would probably humanely let her go to prevent any further heartache that will be inevitable unfortunately.
I suppose it would all depend on circumstances and what I was capable of handling.
I wish you the best of luck at whatever decision you decide, for it will be hard either way.