The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Looking to save some money! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/looking-save-some-money-180577/)

HorseCourage 04-23-2013 02:24 PM

Looking to save some money!

Anybody have any home recipes for like fly spray, showsheen, and other things like that? Or even mane and tail conditioner? I dont have a lot of money so I would rather do home made stuff and save that money for something i actually need to buy for my mare

beverleyy 04-23-2013 03:47 PM

I have a recipe I just sort of made up. Well, not really, I took ideas from other homemade fly sprays until I found something that somewhat worked. I have a mare who is very allergic to mosquitoes, and sensitive overall to other bugs, so I have found most store bought fly sprays have not worked for her (except Endure, that works).

Lets see if I can remember. I never did exact measurements, just ball parked depending on the size of bottle I used and usually it ended up being equal parts each.

Get a spray bottle (it's easier if you have one you can see into)
Fill with the following:
Apple Cider Vinegar
Garlic Powder can be found in bulk section of grocery stores
Original Listerine the gold kind, not the blue/purple/whatever
Fill the rest up with water or fill with another store bought fly spray
Spray as you would any other fly spray =)

HorseCourage 04-24-2013 09:46 AM

thanks you ! :D i hope that works for me :3

caseymyhorserocks 04-30-2013 12:21 AM

Mix half mouthwash and half baby oil in a spray bottle to get rid of itchy dry docks. Just spray it on - but make sure its not worms first.

Apple cider vinegar works great for treating and preventing thrush, just spray it on the hoof. I know some people that bath their horses in apple cider vinegar and they say it leaves them soft and shiny -you can also just spray it straight onto their coat which will make them soft, but wont clean. It also works well to spray onto manes and tales as a mild conditioner.

Vaseline helps with dried / cracked hooves, I just apply it to the horse's heel bulb once a week in summer, just started that.

My personal favorite... go out and buy cheap human hair conditioner and apple cider vinegar (so many uses for ACV!) . Mix half hair conditioner, 1/4 apple cider vinegar and 1/4 water in a spray bottle. I use this on a regular basis on my horses manes and tails and it is amazing! Just spray it on and work it into the mane or tail with your fingers, works fantastic as a conditioner. You can also use it on their coat, but I wouldn't use it to often because of the human conditioners, I would worry it would dry out their skin.

GracielaGata 05-01-2013 11:48 AM

Is kinda a cheap idea, more so just useful. I use Vaseline to remove pine sap and the like from coats and manes. Just rub a dab into the sappy spot and leave it a day or so, it will usually work its way out. My mare has a habit of rubbing the actual hair off if I don't do that. Bald spots are not pretty!
I put tea tree oil in my vinegar foot spray for added benefits.
Coconut oil works great to condition and detangle manes and tails as well. Is fairly cheap if you buy cheap walmart types. Just be careful it isn't liked by a pasture mate- I have been warned by other HFers that some horses will eat the mane of the horse with it in it.
I make a more concentrated useful against killer mosquitos fly spray that has permethrin, Skin So Soft, white vinegar and water in it. I can give you the recipe if you like. It lasts days with minimal use. Great in *super* buggy areas like coastal SC, where bugs have been known to take small children lol.

HorseCourage 05-08-2013 02:43 PM

thanks !!!

jaydee 05-08-2013 02:48 PM

I discovered that the tail detangling sprays just made my horse tails more tangled and created a vicious circle of needing to apply daily
I now just wash them when needed with a mild household washing up liquid, rinse really well and 'wet brush' daily. Takes a few minutes and I have a couple with thick tails.

goingnowhere1 06-15-2013 06:13 PM

Any more? I learned a new one for fly spray from the first responder.

midnight dream 06-17-2013 11:15 AM

i use a conditioner mixed with water for a main/tail detangler if anyone comes up with more things im really interested in knowing :)