The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Contemplating Breeding my Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/contemplating-breeding-my-mare-180585/)

HorseCourage 04-23-2013 02:28 PM

Contemplating Breeding my Mare

So its another year before i have to decide this, but I will be going off to college in a year so i wont have much time to spend with my horse, well at least not spend riding. So would it be a good idea to breed her possibly? Her show name is ICASPLASHOFIMPRESSIVE so if you guys don't think i should or think i should, id love your advice on it. I have had people tell me she's really pretty and I could get a lot of money for her foal, also I think it would be awesome to have a foal in general. She's a sweetie and i think she would make a great mom, but like many of you I also tend to think about all the horses that need resquing. so what are your thoughts?

Southern Grace 04-23-2013 02:38 PM

If your mare has not been shown or proven, the sale-value of the foal is typically going to be less than the expenses of breeding her would be. If you are wanting to keep and raise the foal as a lifetime commitment, it is completely up to you. But with the current market the way it is, I see many foals, quite beautiful pintos and apps, registered, selling for $500 or less, so it is unlikely that breeding would be a wise investment in terms of money-in money-out.

BellaMFT 04-23-2013 02:39 PM

it's a big commitment. I think that this is something you have to decide for yourself. There are a lot of unwanted horses out there. I had a foal last year and it would devestate me to sell her because I would be afraid of what would happen to her. You can never guaranty what kind of life they will have. If you are willing to take the risk of losing your mare or having the foal end up at an auction then that is your decision. Just my thoughts. :-)

themacpack 04-23-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseCourage (Post 2320905)
So its another year before i have to decide this, but I will be going off to college in a year so i wont have much time to spend with my horse, well at least not spend riding. So would it be a good idea to breed her possibly? Her show name is ICASPLASHOFIMPRESSIVE so if you guys don't think i should or think i should, id love your advice on it. I have had people tell me she's really pretty and I could get a lot of money for her foal, also I think it would be awesome to have a foal in general. She's a sweetie and i think she would make a great mom, but like many of you I also tend to think about all the horses that need resquing. so what are your thoughts?

Based on the information above - no, I don't think breeding her is a good plan. There is nothing in your post that speaks of a mare that simply must contribute her genetic materiel to the horse world. Being pretty and sweet are not reasons to breed a mare. You gave her "show name" - what about her show record? What accomplishments does she have that would make her a reasonable candidate for breeding? What is her conformation? What are her faults that would need to be balanced and what strengths would she bring to the table? Her name references Impressive - is she impressive bred? Is she registered?
Additionally, as you are going off to college, who is going to be responsible for working with the resulting foal and helping him/her become a respectable/sellable member of the horse family?

WSArabians 04-23-2013 02:46 PM

I wouldn't consider it unless she's been tested negative for HYPP. All the other options and scenarios are null until I get a clear HYPP test.

Speed Racer 04-23-2013 02:54 PM

If you're not going to have much time to spend with her once you're away at college, just WHO is going to spend time taking care of her, the foal, and training the baby? Why bring another life into the world just because you can?

If you don't have the time for an adult horse, what makes you think you're going to have time for a mare AND foal?

NdAppy 04-23-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 2321401)
If you're not going to have much time to spend with her once you're away at college, just WHO is going to spend time taking care of her, the foal, and training the baby? Why bring another life into the world just because you can?

If you don't have the time for an adult horse, what makes you think you're going to have time for a mare AND foal?

Ditto this.

A mare and foal can be just as much if not more work than an adult horse on it's own. More feed, more time feeding, more time with the farrier, more vet bills, etc.

dbarabians 04-24-2013 02:02 AM

I am going to be the odd man out.. Well the only man out it seems on most threads. by stating that IMO a well bred horse deserves to be considered for breeding purposes on their pedigree alone. Or their conformation and abilities.
I am not impressed by a show record and the only way to prove a mare and stallion are by breeding them.
You will need to ensure she is correct in her conformation. They all have faults but breeders must be aware of them and breed to individuals that can correct any faults or to avoid any major ones.
Some one brought up a good point. If you are going to be in college who is going to be responsible for the care of the mare and foal.
Also can you as a student afford the extra expense of caring for a pregnant mare and foal?
You might try and lease her to a breeder who can use her in their program.
What ever you decide good luck. Shalom

FGRanch 04-24-2013 03:46 AM

DBArabians I am with you. A horse with a great pedigree, awesome conformation, a great mind but no show record should be considered as a breeding animal.

With that being said I am worried reading your thread that you may not have enough knowledge to be breeding...yet. Do your research. Admit her faults and choose a stallion that corrects them. I suggest doing a test for HYPP, Herda, GBED and PSSM1. Make sure that you have a pretty large sum of money aside if she, or the foal, needs any medical care. Have a breeding mentor or two, or three, or a dozen. Read...LOTS.

I would love to see some pictures of your girl if you have a chance to post some.

HorseCourage 04-24-2013 09:37 AM

ill post some in a moment. And the people who would be training and helping take care of her, are me when im home on weekends, then my friend who adores her and my Natural Horsemanship Trainer who adores her as well. I figure she, (and the foal if i decide to breed her) would be in good hands. So it's not as though she will be neglegted.

She tested negative for HYPP I already had her tested for that, everyone loves her markings. I wil post pictures in just a moment. I don't want any of you thinking im just going to breed her for the heck of it. I just want to think through my options. I know she would make a sweet caring mother, because when she sees a mini or a pony, she literally will lick it, and nuzzle it as though she were their mother. But my concern also is that without me there to train the both of them that it would just become a disaster. But at the same time I am also looking to start up my own barn and everything once I am done with college. It will be a show/therapeutic riding barn. just food for thought