The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Have to move.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/have-move-180617/)

Stakie 04-23-2013 02:42 PM

Have to move..

A few days ago I found out the barn that I have been boarding my horse at is going under. So that means I need to find a new place or forced into a price I can not afford. Where the heck do I start? I can't seem to find what I am looking for. And when I do, I never seem to get a response. Is it usual not to hear a response from barn owners for more then a couple days? I've left my e-mail, my name, and my phone number and I have got no response.

I am trying to find something in the Harrisburg, PA area. Preferably looking for pasture boarding with grain and hay included for around or under 200. Right now I pay 150, which works out great for me. But after next month it will go to 250, and that's just not the price I want to pay.

Speed Racer 04-23-2013 02:48 PM

I think you'd better stick with the place you're currently boarding. Pasture board for $250 with hay and grain provided is a pretty darned good price.

You've been underpaying, and you're simply not going to find a place for less than that unless you feed your own grain and hay, which is going to cost you more in the long run to provide it.

It doesn't surprise me the current BO is going under; they're undercharging everyone and simply can't make it on that kind of board fee.

Stakie 04-23-2013 02:51 PM

I found lots of places that offer similar prices. They are out of my driving range or simply have not replied when I have called or e-mailed them. The place is going under, not because of what they are charging but other personal reasons which I was not disclosed.:cry:

AlexS 04-23-2013 03:30 PM

I am about an hour from Harrisburg. $150 a month is very cheap, I don't think you stand much chance of finding field board with hay and grain under $250.

poppy1356 04-24-2013 09:01 AM

Find somewhere looking for help. I just moved my horse to a place that charges $300 a month for full pasture board. That includes hay, grain and they feed the grain. Also blanket changes when needed and very personal attention. They also have a heated indoor arena. This place is about double what I was paying for just paddock board with nothing but hay included. Yes it was a huge increase but for what they offer I don't think it's that bad. They were also looking for weekend help so I can work a day or two a month and bring my cost back to where it was. Win-win for everyone involved.

TurnNBurn144 04-24-2013 12:21 PM

im 2 hours from you. I wish pasture board was that cheap. you cant get that here for under $300 a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 04-24-2013 01:34 PM

You may not *think* that their low prices are causing them financial ruin but with the current hay prices, fuel costs and so forth... there is no way they are breaking even much less profiting at that rate.

As far as nobody calling you back, my best guess is that they are either overflowing with horses because they have such a cheap rate and good service or they are a facility where that is the exact service you are going to receive. Poor communication and most likely sub-par care for the horses.

Wyndrunner 04-24-2013 02:23 PM

I provide pasture care with grain (owner supplied) and hay which I provide for $250 and I am low for my area by about $50. Only way I can do that is we locked our hay prices in and it is still coming to us as good hay but I have to buy 14 rounds at a time to keep my price.

We have a few extra stalls available here and when the weather gets nasty I will bring the pasture care horses in with hay and grain. Not sure anyone else around here does that but I feel better when I know they are not out in hail and lightening. I hope you can find a place, that stinks that your barn is closing. Delfina is right about the lack of communication being indicative of the level of care your horse might receive. I would not bother with them if they can't be bothered with you... Best of luck!!

DancingArabian 04-24-2013 02:27 PM

Check the Equiery -- The Equiery – News & Views

Also look on Craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 04-24-2013 02:37 PM

Perhaps a divorce is in the offing.