The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Ellie's Foaling Thread (maybe?) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/ellies-foaling-thread-maybe-180625/)

Chechatonga 04-23-2013 02:47 PM

Ellie's Foaling Thread (maybe?)

5 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone. I am new here, have been reading the forum for ages but never posted, and I need all the knowledge anyone can offer us! We bought a new horse a month ago, that was going to be put on the slaughter truck because a local horse hoarder took them to the sale barn to get rid of some. We couldn't bear to see her go to slaughter, so we bought her. We were told she had been running with a stallion last year and was probably pregnant, but nobody had any clue how soon, how long, etc. I am working with very little info. She was incredibly thin when we got her, her coat was a mess but she is incredibly gentle and loving. The first day, we put her in the round pen to get safely acquainted with the others outside of it and she just acted like she was relieved to be somewhere safe. Prancing around in delight up on the hill in the sunshine surrounded by green grass and other happy horses. In the last month, her coat has shed out and gotten beautifully shiney, she has gained some weight, and relaxed into a loving, sweet horse. Thing is, every day that goes by I watch for signs of whether she is indeed pregnant, or about to foal, etc, and every day I am reading all the stuff I can to prepare but I feel sort of lost and helpless! The vet has been out, and said yes she is indeed, so I am assuming the man is correct! Our neighbor has horses, and is very knowledgeable about birthing, etc, so I know we have adequate help on hand in a heartbeat. I hope that makes all of you feel a bit better. My concerns are the same as most other people's on here, how do I tell how far she is (vet shrugged and said no idea but its close and to keep his number handy) and I don't want to miss signs its near. Ok, so, after all that background, any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. I will post some pics of her. Neighbor says she is already bagged up, but its not full. Today I went up to the barn to feed her and she was acting a bit strange. She usually eats and then stands to let me pet her and love on her for a while but today she kept going out and back in the barn, and then turning in circles, backing up, going in and out. I kept thinking it was like a dog about to lay down, the way they turn, and paw, and then circle before laying down? But instead she ran out the door, over to the neighbors horses, then down to our other horses and back up again. She was sort of trembling, but stood still for a bit to let me pet her before starting over. There is poop in the stall, which she has NEVER done that one before but hey she is a horse, so it happens, and it seems very soppy wet, which it never is. I have read that they pee a lot before foaling? It wasn't soppy last night but is now. No wax on her teats, I didn't get a chance to see if there is any discharge since her tail was in the way. I will post pics from the day we got her, to yesterday so you can see her belly. We have wormed her, yes. She is a 7 year old American Saddlebred. I have posted pics of her when we first got her, you can see her ribs showing badly in those pics. Please don't tell me she is too thin, as I have stated, she is a RESCUE HORSE, and we are working closely with a vet on getting her to gain weight.

EmsTNWalkers 04-23-2013 02:52 PM

Good for you for taking her in and caring for her! She loos like a sweet girl! I don't have much input, as I just went through my first foaling a couple weeks ago and don't feel I really have enough experience to give you advice. I just wanted to say good luck and I hope you have a happy and safe foaling!

EmsTNWalkers 04-23-2013 02:53 PM

Someone gave me this link when I first posted about my mare in foal and it was very helpful, lots of good info with pictures here:

Foaling

texasgal 04-23-2013 02:54 PM

Welcome!

Chechatonga 04-23-2013 02:59 PM

Thanks so very much for the link, as I said, I am reading everything I can! We are trying so hard to do right by her and her foal, because obviously nobody else ever did. She is just the most loving girl you have ever met. When we brush her she stands so still, its like she just can't get enough of the gentle, loving touch. I have no idea how anyone could have even considered putting her on the slaughter truck.

BrieannaKelly 04-23-2013 05:26 PM

Congratulations and good job for taking in this mare!
I wish you a safe and healthy foaling! Looking forward to what she has. :-)

anniegirl 04-23-2013 07:19 PM

Congratulations and good for you for saving this sweet girl!!! From the sounds of it...her diet is what I would be focussing on right now...just making sure she is getting enough for her and baby:) its so hard when you have not been told a breeding date...I went through it on a smaller scale with my mare...we had a 3 month window...and she went at almost the end of that window!!! keep us all posted and pics...lots of pics!! :D

Chechatonga 05-14-2013 03:00 PM

Update on Ellie and baby x

5 Attachment(s)
Well, we are still waiting patiently for this foal to happen. Mama's belly is growing huge, and she has gained weight in all the right places. She is no longer bony, no more ribs showing, and her coat is shiny. You can see huge veins all over her belly, and her udder seems to be filling. The change in this horse is so dramatic, after just 6 weeks or so. Anyone with any thoughtful advice, please throw it my way. The one thing we are perplexed about is she seems to be changing color. She looks dappled right now, and we don't know if that is from shedding out her winter coat and finally getting good nutrition or what. So, thoughts on that as well. We thought she was a chestnut, but now we are not sure. Doesn't matter, we love her no matter what color she is! Still have no idea how close she is to foaling. Its nerve wracking, to say the least.

Attachment 185426Attachment 185434

Attachment 185442Attachment 185450

Attachment 185466Attachment 185434

texasgal 05-14-2013 03:14 PM

She looks good Ch!

BrieannaKelly 05-14-2013 08:24 PM

She look GREAT! Good job!
Dapples are a sign of good internal health!
Keep up all the great work!
Still looking forward to seeing what she produces for you :-)