The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What are the possibilities of Frame on both? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-possibilities-frame-both-180633/)

equinelvr 04-23-2013 03:09 PM

What are the possibilities of Frame on both?
 
4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I am wondering what the possibilities of both these horses having the frame gene? In reading others posts, it seems that the white spreading over the eyes is an indicator as well as coloring on the bodies, but with my mare, she is a solid sorrell and I was wondering what everyone thought about the odds of both of them having it? I know these are not the best shots, but they are all I have right now. The paint looks like he has a reallllyyy long face in the photo, but it just was the angle of the camera, he does have a pretty head :) I am still learning all of the ins and outs of genes and how they affect each other.

P.s......no making fun of my red and black saddle ;) I have had that since I was 16 and it is really comfortable for both my mare and I. I am not really one to care if all my stuff matches as long as it fits and is comfortable for both.

CLaPorte432 04-23-2013 03:16 PM

I'd say they both have it.

The paint most definitely, the mare, I'm 98% positive due the white on her face above the eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device

equinelvr 04-23-2013 03:25 PM

So, if I am reading correctly, should I decide to breed my mare, I should not breed her to this paint. Doesn't breeding frame to frame raise the possibilites of a foal death?

Poseidon 04-23-2013 03:29 PM

If you breed frame to frame (N/O to N/O), there is a 25% chance that the foal will receive frame from both parents, resulting in O/O. Homozygous frame is lethal.

I wouldn't chance it based on looking at them. However, the test for frame is all of $25. Save yourself the worry about finding another stud if your heart is set on him and test your mare. If she happens to be N/O, choose someone else because I wouldn't risk that. If your mare is N/N, have at it with whoever you choose to breed to.

But as an example, this is my mare. She only really has this blaze and a small hind sock and she is N/O.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...63304361_n.jpg

PaintHorseMares 04-23-2013 03:31 PM

^^^ yes. Just have the testing done.
Posted via Mobile Device

equinelvr 04-23-2013 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Definitely having the test done! I have bred this mare once before to a buckskin and came up with this bay, but with the risk, I am gonna get that test off in the mail ASAP. Thank you all for your help! I actaully own the stallion, just debating of possibilities at this time. In my opinion, so worth the 25 dollars to know for sure.

Poseidon 04-23-2013 03:44 PM

I would test the stallion also in the event that you stand him to outside mares. It would be prudent to warn other mare owners if he is N/O.

equinelvr 04-23-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 2321953)
I would test the stallion also in the event that you stand him to outside mares. It would be prudent to warn other mare owners if he is N/O.

Very good point, thank you for pointing that out!..would hate for any mare or owner to lose a foal!!

equinelvr 04-27-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 2321953)
I would test the stallion also in the event that you stand him to outside mares. It would be prudent to warn other mare owners if he is N/O.

just pulled hairs on both the mare and stallion and they are in the mail to UC Davis....should know in a week or so for sure if they both have it!Thanks for the help all....would never want to intentionally breed a chance of a dead foal!
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 04-27-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equinelvr (Post 2321913)
Definitely having the test done! I have bred this mare once before to a buckskin and came up with this bay, but with the risk, I am gonna get that test off in the mail ASAP. Thank you all for your help! I actaully own the stallion, just debating of possibilities at this time. In my opinion, so worth the 25 dollars to know for sure.

OT, but I'll take that bay off your hands in a heartbeat! ;-) Nom!!
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0