The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What are the possibilities of Frame on both?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  equinelvr 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am wondering what the possibilities of both these horses having the frame gene? In reading others posts, it seems that the white spreading over the eyes is an indicator as well as coloring on the bodies, but with my mare, she is a solid sorrell and I was wondering what everyone thought about the odds of both of them having it? I know these are not the best shots, but they are all I have right now. The paint looks like he has a reallllyyy long face in the photo, but it just was the angle of the camera, he does have a pretty head :) I am still learning all of the ins and outs of genes and how they affect each other.

P.s......no making fun of my red and black saddle ;) I have had that since I was 16 and it is really comfortable for both my mare and I. I am not really one to care if all my stuff matches as long as it fits and is comfortable for both.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd say they both have it.

The paint most definitely, the mare, I'm 98% positive due the white on her face above the eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 · (Edited)
If you breed frame to frame (N/O to N/O), there is a 25% chance that the foal will receive frame from both parents, resulting in O/O. Homozygous frame is lethal.

I wouldn't chance it based on looking at them. However, the test for frame is all of $25. Save yourself the worry about finding another stud if your heart is set on him and test your mare. If she happens to be N/O, choose someone else because I wouldn't risk that. If your mare is N/N, have at it with whoever you choose to breed to.

But as an example, this is my mare. She only really has this blaze and a small hind sock and she is N/O.

#6 ·
Definitely having the test done! I have bred this mare once before to a buckskin and came up with this bay, but with the risk, I am gonna get that test off in the mail ASAP. Thank you all for your help! I actaully own the stallion, just debating of possibilities at this time. In my opinion, so worth the 25 dollars to know for sure.

Attachments

#14 ·
The mare doesn't surprise me, but I would have put money on the stallion having frame. I guess I still have more to learn ;-)

#16 ·
the bottom horse looks like a strict Tobiano. However the belly spot could be an indicator of Splash or frame and because Tobiano does not cause face white it's entirely possible they carry another paint gene ( sabino being most common for face white, splash, or frame overo being a possibility )

your mare looks like a minimal splash or minimal frame overo. have her genetically tested and don't breed her to another paint unless you know for sure 100% that the breeding will not cause an OO foal to be conceived.

#17 ·
your mare looks like a minimal splash or minimal frame overo. have her genetically tested and don't breed her to another paint unless you know for sure 100% that the breeding will not cause an OO foal to be conceived.
Both horses were genetically tested and are negative for frame.

#18 ·
I thought for sure the stallion was also going to come up positive! So now he has tested negative for lethal white and 'negative' for chimerism (no evidence found) but doesn't mean he still can't be chimeric.

I may do a full work up on him for future use if I decide to use him as a stallion for outside mares. Knowing what genes he has will be helpful when breeding other mares, but my main concern was the saftey.

I would never breed knowing there could be issues (other than the normal risks).

I think I may breed him to my mare, but have not decided 100% yet. I am interested to see what the offspring would be like. She is stronger where he is weaker and it may be a good balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.