The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   PREGO?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/prego-1807/)

farmmom 05-09-2007 02:17 PM

PREGO??

OK.. PLEASE do not think I am crazy... LOL..

My friend bought a beautiful mare from the auction this last weekend... We haven't have the vet out yet... cuz she is not sure if she is gonna keep her or not (LONG STORY...husband stuff)... anyway... SHE IS HUGE!!! SHe is absolutly beautiful..BUT...HUGE... she is about 14.3 hand and OVER 1300 lbs. (we taped her)..

Her teats are larger adn hanging... so she is either prego..OR a baby was just pulled off and she is FAT..

I am NOT knowlegable with pregnant mares so...I am putting this out to you... without a vet... is there a way to see if she is prego???

THANK YOU for all responses...

I am looking forward in gettign to know you all...

kristy 05-09-2007 04:11 PM

... Why haven't you called a vet?

savepitbulls 05-10-2007 03:48 PM

Hehe, have you tried getting her to pee on a pregnancy test for people? I've always wondered if that would work...

Seriously though, I'd call a vet and have her preg checked. That way even if your friend decides not to keep her, she will be able to tell the next potential owner what's up.

TxHorseMom 05-22-2007 07:44 PM

There are pregnancy tests you can get (blood tests) but they cost the same as if you got her palpated.

She could be big for a number of reasons. She could have hay belly, she could have worms, she could have had many babies in her lifetime and is just "out of shape". We got a mare from the auction once that we had palpated 3 times because we just couldn't believe she wasn't pregnant because of her shape!!! :shock: The same goes for the teats. She could have had baby recently pulled off her, or she could have just have several babies. (just like her shape.)

Personally I would get her vet checked. It is a small price for a lot of knowledge. Besides, even if she does sell her, she should be honest about if she's pregnant or not. (Some people prefer them to be pregnant. A 2-in-1 package. :wink: )