The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   8 or 10 ply? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/8-10-ply-180745/)

RitzieAnn 04-23-2013 06:34 PM

8 or 10 ply?

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for new trailer tires... all 5 of them :shock:

I've included a picture of my set up. We don't do long hauls. Sometimes we will go out of town, and that's just less than 2 hrs one way.

It's a 4 horse slant w/tack area (converted from it's original 4 horse straight. I only own 2 horses now, and am thinking of moving the tack wall so I have a larger walk in tack area :)

It's current tires have decent treads, but the side walls are super cracked (and they go flat just sittin around) Nobody wants a blow out, so new tires it is!

It has "7.00-15 LT" on it right now, which is a 225/75 15.

So, pros & cons of 8 vs 10 ply? And any brands to go with, or stay away from? I got a price for 10ply Carlisle Radials, $547 for a set of 4. That's no Mount/Balance. My husband works at a dealership & can do that for free at work.

Phly 04-23-2013 07:15 PM

As long as the combined weight rating is enough to handle your trailer loaded, either will be fine. The 8ply may ride nicer.
Posted via Mobile Device

CCH 04-23-2013 07:30 PM

Our 4-h bumper bull and 6-h gooseneck used load range G tires with a 16 ply. You should really consult with some sort of tire professional or maybe an experienced trailer/load person at a truck service center about what load range you need. I would find out the "minimum" and then get one a level better.

Bonus while you're doing the tires - have your axles checked for straightness and get the wheel bearings packed. I always go all out with maintenance, and advise getting in the habit of doing it regularly. My fur children depend on being safe when hauled, so in the long run an extra $100 on tires or whatever is worth it.

RitzieAnn 04-23-2013 08:50 PM

Luckily, I'm married to my mechanic :) He should check on that stuff while he's there. I might possibly pay a tire place to do it, just because they'll have a jack equipped for lifting this kind of load. Honey works on cars/trucks at work, and his lift arms won't fit around my trailer (that & it would be a monster to get that thing turned around in the the shop building)

The tires on it now are "LT" which, of course is Light Truck... something I ran on my 1/2 ton dodge (not the one in the pic)

I've called 2 places, and they each quoted me for 10ply first. One company doesn't even stock the 8 ply because he said the price difference is only about $5 cheaper per tire.

Saddlebag 04-23-2013 09:22 PM

I do believe there are tires designed specifically for trailers. They are not regular auto tires. I think mine are 10 ply for a 16' stock with 5000lb axles.

Phly 04-23-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 2324817)
I do believe there are tires designed specifically for trailers. They are not regular auto tires. I think mine are 10 ply for a 16' stock with 5000lb axles.

There definitely is "trailer tires". They track better and usually are rated higher.
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 04-25-2013 09:00 AM

The difference between a 10 ply and an 8 ply is the load rating. Are you carrying a load that requires a 10 ply tire?

A piece of advice my father gave me many years ago.....there's many places to go cheap, but buy the best tires and brakes you can get.

That's been very good advice for me.....rode with the neighbor last weekend and he had a flat on his trailer.....he told me he never buys new tires for the trailer as it sits to much. Each to his own, but the last thing I want is to break down while loaded with horses.

Watch the races and you'll see tires putting more cars in the wall than anything else.

tim62988 04-25-2013 05:33 PM

I currently have a trailer I tow almost daily for work that has:

Firestone Transforce HT load range E tires

my truck has 75K miles, so guessing 1/2 of those pulling the trailer as well as quite a few miles on my last truck, and then more miles on the tires from the guy I bought the trailer from and still have EXCELLENT tread depth, no cracking. I pull the trailer in and out of dairy barns daily so the tires get abused and still look great

Dustbunny 04-25-2013 08:53 PM

We pull a 3 horse slant BP. We put 10 ply tires on it designed for a trailer.

Mingiz 05-05-2013 09:34 AM

I run 10 ply E rated tires on both of my trailers. I also put radials instead of bias tires. :wink: