The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Get the horse used to hobbles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/get-horse-used-hobbles-18076/)

Zab 11-21-2008 11:36 PM

Get the horse used to hobbles?

How do you do it? :P
I mean these things you tie around the horses frontlegs.. or the one hobble thing for that matter..
Not that I'll ever do it, since it's illegal here I think, but I know most horses I know would freak out and break a leg or something if I put that on them..
http://www.outfitterssupply.com/images/WPH122.jpg

SonnyWimps 11-21-2008 11:40 PM

ummmm...no idea lol
But I must say, I see no point on those at all.....I think my horse would be okay with them on, but I would never use them.

What's the point exactly? So they don't wander too far or something

Zab 11-21-2008 11:59 PM

As faras I know, yeah that's the idea :P
Appearantly they can be used for training too..I imagine them being effective on a pawing horse..

chestnutmare 11-22-2008 12:13 AM

They use them alot in eastern Europe. In the farming villages of Ukraine, people fence their properties around their houses to protect their gardens. Cattle are driven by the villagers each morning down the road to fields where they graze and then they return, each cow knows where its home is and the owner lets them into their gate. Horses are treated a similarly. For forage, the horses graze in the countryside and for this, they must be hobbled. The mares pull hay carts with their foals running beside them. Hobbles work fine for them. I think that it is a matter of training and once they are accustomed to it, it is not dangerous to them.

Zab 11-22-2008 12:58 AM

But I wonder how you get them used to it.
You can teach a horse anything.. if you know how :P
The very first time you put them on, how do they keep the horse from panicing?

BeauReba 11-22-2008 01:40 AM

Why are they illegal in your area? I've never used them before but I was at a barn once where they let the horse loose in the front yard with hobbles.

Phantomcolt18 11-22-2008 01:53 AM

they're not illegal where i live i live in new jersey. the owners of the show i go to have a horse that paws the trailor so they use it to stop it from doing that. wow thats odd they don't hurt a horse you just have to get the horse used to it.

Horse Poor 11-22-2008 03:17 AM

I hobble train and I do it for several reasons, the biggest is safety...a hobble trained horse won't panic when his feet are caught...invaluable if he gets caught up in a downed fence or gets tangled up in something unforeseen in tall grass, etc. I had a horse stand for hours when he put his foot through a box wire fence. If he had struggled he could have torn off his foot as he had laced it between two of the wire boxes. I also recommend that all mares be hobble trained so that they will be familiar if breeding hobbles should ever be used. A hobbled trained horse is a breeze to work with on injuries involving legs. I can't tell you how many times I've scotch hobbled a horse so that I could work with painful leg wounds without being kicked. A hobbled trained horse also is a dream for a farrier to work with. They simply understand what it means to have their feet messed with. Hobbles aren't for keeping a horse "in place". Horses can, and do, run in them. If you want to use hobbles to keep a horse "in place" you have to tie their head to the front hobble so they cannot raise it above the topline. I hesitate to give you a "how to" step-by-step as this forum is a very novice forum. There are many things I do that I simply do not want inexperienced folks to try. You CAN teach a horse to accept hobbles without panicing - it's like anything else you teach a horse - it must be done in steps.

Zab 11-22-2008 05:52 PM

I'm in sweden and it's illegal to tie any part of the horse together with any other part of the same horse, another horse, a ple etc, or to tie the leg up.
By some reason it doesn't seem to go for the head and training tho; you can tie it in the head, pull the head down to the saddle with drawreins and the lke, use lunging systems etc :P
Because horses are fragile and will probably die of a heart attack or something, I dunno.. xD I know that in former days people used to tie pieces of woods to the horses heads or legs and the horses often got injuries by it..I guess that's the reason we have such srict laws on restraining animals. You're not allowed to chain a dog outside without watching it either. Or a horse, unless it's a stall with walls and some special rope thingy.

I'm not sure, hobbles might be ok in training tho.. it seems you can do whatever you want in the name of training..

I like the idea of the horse not panicing if it got stuck, but I don't thinh Id use it for pawing while transported.. it needs all the balance it can get that and sometimes that means spreading all four legs..

farmpony84 11-22-2008 09:12 PM

I know that people who live and work on big ranches use them quite often... I've never used them, not sure how you introduce them properly....