The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Eye Goop? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/eye-goop-180841/)

Lynxlover 04-23-2013 09:15 PM

Eye Goop?

Hey guys. Quick question for ya. So I have a bay overo paint, Lynx and he's got two blue eyes. One eye is covered in brown and the other is covered with white(he's got a bald face). Anyways, he always gets a ton of eye goop from the eye covered with white and not that much on the other side. Is this normal?

Phly 04-23-2013 09:42 PM

My wife's paint did that too. I don't know if it was more eye boogers or just more noticeable. Bit yes I've seen it too
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 04-23-2013 09:45 PM

I've had a blue eyed horse with "weepy" eyes, and now I have a brown eyed horse with weepy eyes xD. Can't get away from them.

Try finding some saline eyedrop solution (for people or horses, it's usually the same), and put a couple drops in the corner of the eye. Then you'll want to put on a fly mask to keep the flies out. If that doesn't help reduce the problem then you may want to call your vet to do a flush. Make sure there's no fly eggs in the corner of the eyes.

countercanter 04-23-2013 11:02 PM

My paint has weepy eyes and they get goopy in the summer, but he has brown eyes and no white touches them. I use Farnam's Clear Eyes drops for him to keep them clean and he wears a fly mask all summer. His old pasture buddy had one blue eye on the white side of his face and he got goopy in that eye. They did the same and just kept it clean and and in a fly mask.

Muppetgirl 04-23-2013 11:29 PM

I read here on the forum that Vit A is really good for clearing up skin conditions and goopy eyes which show up at this time of because of a Vit A deficieny in the grass. I do believe the dosage was injectable Vit A (DONOT INJECT) given orally at 5cc's per week.

kiwi79 04-24-2013 05:53 AM

My horse has blue eyes, the eye that is surrounded by white hair only has always been the gunkiest eye. He wears a full face mask in summer which helps with keeping it clean and shaded, that eye is much more sun sensitive than the other. I wipe his face down every other day with baby wipes and try and keep that eye as clean as possible. I have eye cream from the vet which I keep in the fridge and use that whenever the skin directly around his eyes looks irritated. His nostril on the same side always has more gunk in it than the other side too. White faced horses can be quite time consuming, especially when they've suffered really bad sunburn in the past.