The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping with a Running Martingale (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-running-martingale-180849/)

Lynxlover 04-23-2013 09:18 PM

Jumping with a Running Martingale

Hey guys. I was just wondering whether or not it's alright to jump with a running martingale? I've had many mixed reactions when I asked around. What do you think?

Stilton 04-24-2013 12:20 PM

Yes it is definitely ok to jump in a running martingale. What you don't want to jump in is a standing martingale

MySerenity 04-24-2013 02:16 PM

Hunters typically jump in standing martingales

Jumpers usually go in running martingales (along with a couple of other types)

albertaeventer 04-24-2013 04:26 PM

It is perfectly acceptable as long as it's adjusted properly, the rings should come up to the horse's throatlatch. It shouldn't come into play unless your horse puts its head way up in the air to avoid the bit, it's definitely not meant to be used to hold the head down. Depending on the horse and what you're doing, a standing martingale might be more appropriate. What are you hoping to prevent or accomplish with a martingale?

Lynxlover 04-24-2013 09:29 PM

For me I'm using it not to keep his head in a set postion but to stop it from going too high.
Posted via Mobile Device

albertaeventer 04-25-2013 09:42 AM

It should work for you then. I use a running on my mare when I jump, in eventing you can't use standing martingales anyways. It seems to work pretty well, otherwise she likes to put her head way up in my face the whole time, so it's just a reminder for her to keep it slightly lower where she can see things better!

ThoroughbredJumper 04-25-2013 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is me and my OTTB (Romeo) jumping in a running M. I find its perfectly fine and about 30-40% of jumpers I know use one, and the other % uses a standing or a breastplate attachment of some sort. Use as needed, if its unnecessary then don't bother, but i find it makes Romeo jump a bit better because he knows to pay close attention to my hands, and it also helps make releases dead on :) Work that martingale girl! ;D hahaha

updownrider 04-25-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynxlover (Post 2337681)
For me I'm using it not to keep his head in a set postion but to stop it from going too high.

As long as the martingale is adjusted properly and you have rein stoppers you should be fine. Never use a running without rein stoppers, otherwise it becomes a safety issue.

jaydee 04-25-2013 11:29 AM

I loath standing martingales but always used a running martingale for hunting, showjumping and eventing - also in UK working hunter show classes
You wont find many top eventers and showjumpers that don't use them, even if it never comes into 'play' its a good safety net because even the best can get it wrong

maura 04-25-2013 12:06 PM

Both standings or runnings can be used safely and correctly when jumping IF they are adjusted correctly. The fact that both are frequently adjusted incorrectly and overused doesn't change that.

Standing martingales are standard in hunters and are sometimes seen in the jumper ring. Running martingales are considered unconventional tack in the hunters, but are common with jumpers and eventers. Standings are not allowed in eventing, even in the stadium portion.

So it depends on your discipline.