The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Is it normal for horses to "dogleg" while loping? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/normal-horses-dogleg-while-loping-180881/)

usandpets 04-23-2013 09:44 PM

Is it normal for horses to "dogleg" while loping?

Not really specific to any riding discipline, but when a horse lopes or canters. Is it common for a horse to dogleg or have their rear out of line or off to the side while loping? One of our mares really does it. It feels like her rear is trying to pass her front. She is a QH if that matters. Our other horses don't seem to do it or do it as bad.

Is it natural? Is it a sign of something amiss?
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 04-23-2013 09:50 PM

this isn't normal and chances are it has to do with balance.

has the horse been completely checked for proper saddle fit, vet/chiropractic work etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 04-23-2013 09:53 PM

It can also be a result of bad training, like when folks use a markedly "pushed in" hindquarters when asking for the lope depart.

Muppetgirl 04-23-2013 09:56 PM

Some horses will naturally have quite a noticeable 'cant' to their hip at the lope and some are forced over to slow them down, some bad examples of WP show this unfortunately. I suspect you are meaning something like this:

Chevaux 04-23-2013 10:16 PM

If I may be so bold as to make this observation: at the start of the video when the group started 'cantering' in such a similar manner, my first thought was that they were all students of the same trainer:?

Skyseternalangel 04-23-2013 10:35 PM

Every horse is crooked about something. My horse does it with his shoulders. Some do it with their heads, some with their necks, and others with their hind as your mare does.

It's either a confo thing, a training thing, or an endurance thing.

What I mean by endurance is it takes a lot for a horse to be straight and put together correctly.. so your mare may need extra support and more "micromanaging" until she gets it.

Conformation is just she's built in such a way that it's harder for her to be straight, so again additional support it needed.

Training thing is the rider using too much leg in relation to other aids that the horse yields too far over and therefore ends up crooked.

usandpets 04-24-2013 03:40 PM

Muppetgirl, yes that is what riding her is like, just not that slow. I don't think she was trained as western pleasure but she is rode western and for pleasure. Just for trail riding. She does have racing QHs in her bloodlines and she's built like a tank. She can move. She's only 14.3 but can easily pass our 15.3 QH and our 15.1 Arab.
Posted via Mobile Device

greentree 04-24-2013 06:48 PM

WHY do they DO that??? ALL of them??If I were a judge, I would throw them all out on their ears.... or at least tell them to get a new trainer!

Nancy

MyBoyPuck 04-24-2013 07:23 PM

Holy crap! That looks like a lame leg yield! That looks horrible.

To the OP, my horse likes to bulge, if you will, when we are out "yahooing" on trails. I have no idea why he does it. We get very high scores in dressage for straightness, so I know he's capable of galloping straight. No clue why he does it. I would guess he's just being lazy and trying not to use some part of his body, but since it's play time, I don't make much out of it. Can your horse travel straight during normal schooling, or is he always like that?

usandpets 04-24-2013 10:55 PM

It doesn't seem to matter which saddle is used. She does straighten out when she speeds up and at the trot and walk. Just when she's at a casual lope, she shuffles her butt to the side. She does it on both sides depending on what lead she's in.

Since we have several horses that can be rode and she is used for beginner riders because she is so well behaved, I don't get to ride her often.
Posted via Mobile Device