The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Opinions and Options for Cinches (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/opinions-options-cinches-180889/)

Runninghot88 04-23-2013 09:51 PM

Opinions and Options for Cinches

I have to get a new cinch. Looking at different options. Do not like neoprene and has to come small enough in a 26" that is not a pony. I really like weaver felt smart cinches but bought it 5 years ago and figure there are newer and better ones out there. Just was wondering.

Thanks

Phly 04-23-2013 09:57 PM

I like my weaver felt smart cinch also. I'm actually lookin for a bigger one since he's grown. I'm probly going to either get the longer version of what I have, I noticed they improved the buckle. Or just a plain ole roper cinch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Runninghot88 04-23-2013 10:00 PM

I see some use mohair too. What are the pluses and negative? I have it stuck in my mind that rope cinches will rub. I have a sensitive skin gelding. Is there a big difference between roper and straight?

Phly 04-23-2013 10:07 PM

I like ropers because they're wider. Spreads the contact out more. What's nice about mohair is it gives some. Unlike nylon backed.
Posted via Mobile Device

mvinotime 04-23-2013 10:10 PM

LOVE my Weaver felt Smart Cinch!

katieandscooby 04-23-2013 10:15 PM

Cotton cinches will rub a bit. Mohair is so nice. It gives, and breathes way nicer then felt and neoprene. The only thing is if you have a really sensitive skinned horse you might have to get those covers for the cinch rings. We use weaver and billy cook cinches pretty much exclusively. Love my mohair and once you switch, seems you can't go back!
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 04-24-2013 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I'm currently using on my sensitive skinned mare.

Straight Air Flex Smart Cinch Weaver Leather (Supplies Tack - Saddle Accessories - Cinches)

ETA: I really like this cinch for her. I've tried mohair, alpaca, fleece, felt, and neoprene. None of them worked as well. She has not had any rubbing with this one, and that includes the trail ride we were on when I bought it. Hours of really big hills (we people from Kansas like to call them mountains) and it performed way better than I expected. I can't tell if it really is any cooler than standard neoprene, but I can tell the pressure is more evenly distributed that with other cinches I've tried.

smrobs 04-24-2013 02:06 AM

Where folks run into problems with the string cinches rubbing is they buy those cheap cotton or blend cinches. The only time I've ever had a mohair rub is when I failed to keep it adjusted properly or if I let it get too stiff from sweat/mud.

I only use mohair cinches but, unlike others, I hate the smart cinches. Because the inner roller is much wider than your latigo, it often tightens up off-center so that your hole is actually 3/4 of an inch to either side of the tongue and it takes time to get it all re-adjusted and secured. That might not be a big deal to lots of folks, but I like to get my cinch done up quickly with as little fuss as possible because I ride a lot of colts.

Phly 04-24-2013 02:28 AM

I like the weaver smart cinch for the felt more then the buckle. I usually only use the top rung, the roller on mine drives it off to the ring then it binds.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 04-24-2013 02:30 AM

I don't mind mohair cinches however I find Selena is not fond of them. I have a really nice one that I spent a lot of money on thinking she'd like it but she gets pissy everytime I put it on her.

I second the air flex cinch up there. LOVE it. I have three, one for each of my barrel saddles, and they are just an awesome cinch in general.

I'm with smrobs on the smart cinch though. Not a fan at all.