The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Keeping Horses With Sheep? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/keeping-horses-sheep-180977/)

Hazels 04-24-2013 02:09 AM

Keeping Horses With Sheep?

Hey guys.
It's been a while, has it not?
I didn't really know where to put this, so I figured this would be the most accurate place to stick this.
Anyway, I just have a silly little question. I googled it, but I didn't really get the answers I was looking for.
Next year I plan to raise and sell a sheep, but I don't own any acreage. I have a neighbor that has a horse pasture across the street for me who would let me use his pasture for free, and I was considering placing my lamb in there.
He currently has four horses in the pasture {which is fairly large, an acre of two} but this could change at any time.
By the time I get my lamb, he very well could have no horses or six. It changes every month or so.
So my question is, could horses and sheep live together in harmony?
EXTRA INFO -
I'm only getting one lamb and it will only be a month old when I get it. (I know, sheep are herd animals, but I can only get one.)
There are roofed stables with a food bucket and a water bucket in each. There is an extra one on the end I could keep the lamb in.
The pasture is green and cut to grazing length all year except winter, but I will not have a lamb at this time.
The area is fenced off with wire fencing.
Both up slope and low ground terrain.

Thank you!
-Hazels

CCBella 04-24-2013 06:33 AM

It depends on the horses involved. My aunt had an anglo arab mare that was paddocked with the sheep on their property during her retirement. They never lost a lamb while she was alive as she viewed them as her herd and protected them (including once against my uncle lol). On the other side of things I had a mini gelding and know another horse (not mini) that would kill lambs and sheep if paddocked with them. You would have the introduce the lamb carefully to any horse/s they might be paddocked with.

Foxhunter 05-12-2013 05:07 PM

My horses are fine with the sheep but I have known other horses kill them.
Personally I think you are very wrong in having just one lamb, they do far better in groups.
You say that it is fenced with wire - is this the stock netting or plain wire? If it is the latter then it will not keep a lamb in.

Look into the care a lamb needs. Feet trimming, worming, shearing keeping free of fly strike to name a few.

Aggs 05-19-2013 12:43 PM

I think that you need more than one lamb if you plan on raising Sheep. Sheep do better in groups.

In answer to you question, it really depends on the horses personality if they will do well with sheep.

Alaskadraft 05-19-2013 04:38 PM

I know that you can keep them together since both are herd animals.. However Sheep get copper poisoning . Most salt licks for horses have copper in them and will poison a sheep. You have to be careful. other than that .. go for it.

AD

Celeste 05-20-2013 11:43 AM

If I put a little baby lamb in with my horses, I feel certain that they would kill it. You should keep this baby in a stall.