The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Books (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/books-18098/)

claireauriga 11-22-2008 01:47 PM

Books

Okay, so tell us about a few of your favourite books and latest reads :)

I'm sci-fi/fantasy girl, probably, but I can't stand the over-processed stereotypical stuff. I've read most of Anne McCaffrey's work, and enjoy it but don't think it's genius. The works I enjoy tend to have a non-stereotypical hook; for example, the Korean-inspired culture of Tsurannui in Feist and Wurts' Empire Trilogy.

On the other hand, Terry Pratchett is God. Discworld is so well-written, so intelligent and funny and moving and profound and everything good and wonderful.

I have a lifelong love of the Lord of the Rings, and I hope things like the recent publication of The Children of Húrin will make the Silmarillion more accessible to others.

I devoured Harry Potter (was introduced to the series at the age of nine), of course.

On the other hand, I also really love Jane Austen's works and many classics. Austen was such a talented writer.

Today I finished A Game of Thrones, the first part of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire cycle. It's been recommended to me by two friends but I was wary of starting it because it seemed very generic fantasy to me. On conclusion of the first book ... I will read the second, but I don't think it's that good. It's very grim and dark in many places (not one for the kids at all) but it uses such similar themes to so many fantasy cycles. There are good bits - for example, I like the Wall - but many bits that just feel overdone, or gratuitously contrary to modern morals.

Good because I needed something to read that I haven't read before, but nothing I particularly like.

Jehanzeb 11-22-2008 02:12 PM

If I have to explain Books in three words I would say "I hate Books"....hahaha :-). Never read any book not even course books. I just can't stand that black ink on a paper after paper, unless it has photos in it :-).

Can't really talk about books here as I don't read them.:-)

Regards

claireauriga 11-22-2008 02:17 PM

I just don't understand non-readers xD Don't you find it fun to just sink into a good book and while away the hours? It's heaven!

Jehanzeb 11-22-2008 02:20 PM

hahaha! yea I do sink into games and way goes the hours! :-) hahaha. To be honest I don't really understand how can you read 1000s of pages, let alone read how can someone keep writing those pages. Aaahh!

Oh well while they write their pages, I finish my levels in the game. :-)

Regards

TaMMa89 11-22-2008 05:54 PM

I read pretty much.

Medical whodunits are my favorites. For example Robin Cook and Michael Palmer write books like this.

I like also veterinarian stories (writers like James Herriot or Hugh Lasgarn have some wonderful writings).

Nicholas Evans has written wonderful books too. I read the Horse Whisperer at first and after it I had to read his other books because the Horses Whisperer were so good.

There's also two Finnish writers that I want to bring out.
Veikko Huovinen is one of my domestic favorite. He has some distinctive writings and I like his chatting style to write. I don't know if there are any translations of his book but if there are I recommend them! Of course it depends a lot of a translator if the translation is good but at least the original text is great.

The second one is Merja Jalo. When I was younger I tend to read a lot of her books. She writes some book series and most of them tell about horses. The target group of her books is children/teenages who are something around 10 to 15 year old and I was really into her books at this age. I've still some of her books and I even read them sometimes. Mrs Jalo has also very appealing style to write and maybe this is the reason I like still her books. I don't know if there are translations of her books but if there are I recommend also them to you or your children.

Kentucky 11-22-2008 06:10 PM

I love to read, history [military history (exspacially)], western novels, some christain fiction, and a little of almost anything.
Of westerns my favorite authors are: Louis L'Amour, and Ralph Cotton

Small_Town_Girl 11-29-2008 11:23 AM

I LOVE TO READ! I just got through reading "The Horse Whisperer,"
an amazing book and I liked it so much I lent it to my mom afterwards.
Other than that, I love fiction. <3

BeauReba 11-29-2008 12:47 PM

I like to read books about horses and food mostly! I love "100 Mile Diet" a book about eating local food and the struggles that come with it, Vinyl Cafe books which are stories from a radio show (I'm a CBC nerd), Shopaholic series (hehehe), and books like Horse Conformation, Guide to Feeding Horses and Ponies...

claireauriga 11-29-2008 01:47 PM

Aged 8-13 I had loads of horse-themed books: the Saddle Club, a series about Holywell farm or something like that, they were a horse sanctuary ... something about a girl who tamed a wild horse in Virginia and took him back to the UK ... loads.

Aha, just googled the Hollywell ones, because I could remember the name of one character: Blake Kildaire. And a quote about Michelle Pfeiffer, and a rockstar called Rocky. Anyway, they're books by someone called Samantha Alexander.

Anyway, horsey fiction doesn't interest me anymore. It's all either teenaged stuff, which I stopped liking aged fourteen, or chick lit with the addition of a horse as a rival to the love interest. And I have tried reading chick lit, and I can't stand it.

BeauReba 11-29-2008 02:33 PM

Oh I read all the Saddle Club, Short Stirrup, Pine Hollow, and... there was another one I read! I still read them when I visit my parents and find the old books lol