The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Riding in a Skirt. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/riding-skirt-181033/)

poundinghooves 04-24-2013 09:03 AM

Riding in a Skirt.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I just stuck it in here. I'm about to buy my first pony (Other than my two minis, he's the first one I'm going to truly own that I can actually ride.) and I am very excited. In the past, I have always refrained from posting pictures of myself riding horses because I ride in a skirt.....:oops:. I know it's different and questions are natural so I'm just telling everyone right now that it is for religious reasons that way every time I post a pic the topic hopefully won't turn to religion/my skirt? I've always ridden in a skirt with leggings and my boots and I am used to it. When I get this pony, I am definitely going to want to post pictures of the cutie so I'm just telling everyone now what the deal is with the skirt, :lol:. Also, if anyone has ever ridden in a skirt (For mounted shooting or whatever.) I'd be happy to hear about where you got your skirt (Sometimes I have trouble finding denim skirts to ride in.), how much it was, etc (Pics are great too).

Thanks for reading this (I tried to keep it short :lol:)~ poundinghooves

kitten_Val 04-24-2013 09:30 AM

Personally I would not go with western saddle (with horn) if you ride in a skirt (because it may be too dangerous). But I can imagine riding in one in english saddle. I'm not fan of skirt in general :wink: so never rode like that, but I'd be curious to see some pics! :D

Cherie 04-24-2013 09:39 AM

I know a number of women that ride in big full skirts or ride in tighter skirts with leggings underneath and all ride western. I don't have a problem with it. It does require a horse (or pony) be used to waving cloth and not be spooked by it.

We'd love to see pictures of you riding.

Cherie

Saranda 04-24-2013 09:57 AM

I've tried riding in a skirt - used a really long and wide one, and my riding breeches underneath, with an English saddle. My horse is used to cloth waving around his body, so he was cool with that, and I found it rather comfortable and warm in the colder months. :) But I used it mostly just for a couple of photo shoots, as I like dressing light in everyday situations - the less layers, the better I feel.

Interested to see some pictures of you riding in a skirt! :)

AnalisaParalyzer 04-24-2013 10:36 AM

i wanna see!!!!

EmsTNWalkers 04-24-2013 10:38 AM

Hmmm, I would be interested in seeing how this is done also. I would think the skirt would ride up and bunch and create and annoying bulge and also increase the chance of an embarrassing moment if it gets blown in the wind! Better keep it at a walk in that case lol! But really I could see it working out fine if it were a very flowy type so that it wouldn't get wadded up.

I can tell you one thing, you will definitely look more fabulous than most of us out on the trail :)

walkinthewalk 04-24-2013 10:50 AM

I have a split riding skirt hanging in the closet that I bought years ago, for a parade costume, and nobody could tell it was a split skirt until I got up on the horse:-P

It was really comfortable and easy to get in and out of:)

Split Riding Skirt, Riding Attire in Woman's Western Wear by Cattle Kate

DancingArabian 04-24-2013 10:52 AM

^^^^
That!
Pics please!
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 04-24-2013 10:52 AM

I guess some of ya'll have never seen a Western Movie in the 1800's :shock:

Riding in skirts was very popular :wink:

Embarrassing moments? I would guess everyone has something on under the dress :lol:

I see no problems poundinghooves

PS, they make Western Endurance Saddles without the horn if anyone foresees a horn as a problem

walkinthewalk 04-24-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 2330193)

I guess some of ya'll have never seen a Western Movie in the 1800's :shock:

Riding in skirts was very popular :wink:

Embarrassing moments? I would guess everyone has something on under the dress :lol:

I see no problems poundinghooves

PS, they make Western Endurance Saddles without the horn if anyone foresees a horn as a problem

Westerns is where I got the idea for the split riding skirt. Barbara Stanwyck always wore one in The Big Valley:-P