The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Wha do you/your horse wear when going swimming? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/wha-do-you-your-horse-wear-181145/)

DraftDreamer 04-24-2013 12:46 PM

Wha do you/your horse wear when going swimming?

What do you wear when going swimming? And what tack do you have your horse in? I plan on going swimming in the lakes and such this Summer once it warms up a bit. I've heard people use their bridles and also loosely tie a rope around their horses neck for something to hold on to. :D

Also, how do you introduce your horse to water and swimming?

Roperchick 04-24-2013 01:01 PM

Im usually bareback in shorts and my swim suit and just have a halter on him

As for teaching them....well my guys are really fish
They LOVE it and I have more trouble keeping them out of the water.

Taffy Clayton 04-24-2013 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we are about to take a dip.

Attachment 166897

Maple 04-24-2013 02:09 PM

146 Attachment(s)
Taffy - Just my opinion, but Black Caviar rocked the suit better :)

kac7700 04-24-2013 04:37 PM

Just beware, those horses get slippery when they're all wet! The first time I sent, I only let him go in up to his chest since I wasn't confident I could stay on a slippery horse for the ride back home!

waresbear 04-24-2013 07:53 PM

Tank top, board shorts & a helmet, no shoes, no saddle, a bridle, but I steered with a lead rope around his neck.

gunslinger 04-25-2013 08:48 AM

A helmet to swim in? Okay....what ever.

NaeNae87 04-25-2013 09:27 AM

bikini, barefoot, no helmet, PVC bridle and a leadrope around the neck for something to hold incase I need it. :)

Island Horselover 04-25-2013 09:35 AM

I dont see the point in wearing a helmet either (when swimming with your horse). As said before, no saddle, rope halter and reins... I usually hold on the mane once the horse swims. Just make sure that you lean forward and kind of float on the horse that makes it more pleasent for you and the horse and it will be easier to find your seat back one the horse gets some ground again. I go swimming with my guys almost every day in the summer! So much fun, cant wait! As for the horse, maybe you have the chance to bring a horse that already knows how and likes it, that will make it easier for your horse to go in. Good luck and TONS OF FUN!!!! Of course we all want to see pics... :0)

Cynical25 04-25-2013 11:34 AM

Growing up in Michigan (The Great Lake State!) there were half a dozen lakes within riding distance. I'd hop on bareback with a bridle and my part Arab would dive right in any chance she got. My Paint would have nothing to do with water larger than a puddle.